A guitarist need some help from you trumpeters out there :)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aleksandar, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Aleksandar

Aleksandar New Friend

Sep 9, 2010
    Hello to everybody! I am a guitarist/composer (at leas I'm trying to be one :-) ) and lately I'm busy composing my own music in Finale 2010. Music would be, I don't know right now in the very begining, but I guess it would be some kind of a fusion. Now, in my virtual " band" in Finale I have included a trumpet, since I am a big Miles Davis' fan. So, since I'm a guitar player, I don't know anything about trumpet notation, and particulary about articulation, technique, effects and how they should be presented in the notation system. For example, I don't know how to notate/produce that roaring sound, charracteristic to brass instruments. When I still didn't know the Finale program yet, by accident I made that VST emulation of trumpet to roar, but then I couldn't repeat that again. I tried everything from the articulation list, but with no success. So, here's what I'm asking you- I need some list for articulation markings, signs or whatever they're called, which are used for trumpet notation, especially in jazz, along with the short explanation of the meaning of each one of them.
    Thank you very much for your attention.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
  3. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    By "roar", perhaps you might mean "growl"? If so, that effect can be produced by vocally growling while simultaneously playing the trumpet. I don't know whether Finale has that function programmed in.

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Try giving us some very specific examples of the "roar" you refer to. Hopefully you have some classic recordings many of us would have, and you can point us to a specific track at a specific time. Or find some youtube clips that demonstrate what you're talking about. Anything to give us a concrete example.