A ha Discoveries......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tunefultrumpet, Apr 18, 2009.

1. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    I had this idea for a thread. How about we share some of those little insights we get about our own trumpet playing. I'm really thinking of those things you discover or notice for yourself...and you think "hey that is something I didn't expect that really works for me." Given we are all individuals maybe we can benefit from the unique insights of each other.

I'll kick it off with a couple of things.

1) I noticed recently that for me tonguing exercises (single, double or triple) are really good for setting up my embouchure, bringing my lips forward off my teeth, firming my corners. So I like to include them as part of my warmup.

2) Long, soft, low tones are medicine for my chops (this I discovered as a kid in my first year of playing).

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I made this thread sticky.

Rules: Read what has been posted, think about what you post, don't repeat unnecessarily!

Thank you TT!

3. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    I recently had a breakthrough with range. I've never really had an issue with it, I always had the notes when I needed them but I always felt like it was harder than it should be. In my lesson this week my teacher and I were working on some lead charts and I mention this to him after coming up against a rough part of the song for me where it runs up to a Eb then waits 2 measures of rest and comes back in on a High G. The G was sometimes there and sometimes not. Anyway my teacher realized that I had the same issue he had when he was my age. I was psyching myself out. I saw the written note and kept thinking "oh crap here comes the high note,.....oh crap" :) He said that he used to do this and he found that by not thinking of it as a note but as just an interval fixed it for him. I played the line again and just thought "ok, its up a major third next" I nailed the G and have not had this problem since. My band played the song last night as our closer. I not only nailed the G again but ended the piece on a High Bb by thinking its just a 5th above the written Eb. Now the Bb was not huge and powerful by any means but it was there and it had not been before. This mental swtich or trick really helped me.

4. tunefultrumpet

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    Amazing how a mental trick or two can fix something! As players I think we use our mental aural concepts all the time to shape our sound. I remember as a kid in my first year playing, going through all the different types of tone I could play with, based mostly on different styles of trumpet playing I had heard, and being amazed at the variation I could produce.

5. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    I think that's an excellent suggestion! It is the occasional words of wisdom that make us realize that some of our bad habits are caused by self inflicted mental trickery! Fear of written high notes seems to be a common thing. You may be able to play them at home when you're messing around, but when you see them in a chart and there are all those lines above the staff, fear and anxiety take over and you jam your mouthpiece into your chops and stop the note from ever having a chance to come through your horn. Just intervals... I like it.

6. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I know im a kid, so my information may be incorrect, but when i got my braces my range fell like crazy, the process was long bringing my skill level back up then improving even more. I always concentrated on curling the lip to move up the scale, then my director explained to me the whole concept of shooting the air straight down the center of the mouthpiece, the faster and straighter the air. That combined with the realization the notes weren't as high as i thought, opened up my range and in reality helped my overall tone by visualizing the air in my head and how it needed to move in the mouthpiece to give me wanted/needed notes

7. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    I remember practicing one sunny afternoon (okay, it was raining. that's why I wasn't outside) and I finally figured out that applying more/faster air reduced the 'airyness' of my tone. It does not make any sense but I sound a lot better, and it was an A HA!! moment to me. I just couldn't figure out why my tone sounded so thin compared to everybody else...

8. luckyhornman

luckyhornman New Friend

Mar 22, 2009
    Where Grass Is Blue
    Just had this one yesterday...:thumbsup:

Some of our JE music has notes above the staff as well as below (imagine that) so taking out the recently acquired 6a4a to ease the High Bb run on Penn 65000,
    I realized that you can play low with this peice by simply parting your lips more and dropping your tongue to accomodate the extra air flow needed and A ha !!! :play:

All the way down to low Bb... :-P

I was teethed on a 7c so transitioning has been fun and interesting...:roll:

Thought I'd share...:grouphug:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  9. tunefultrumpet

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    I agree luckyhornman, most of those small lead pieces can work in the lower register with a little adjustment.

10. muzikborne2

muzikborne2 New Friend

Apr 17, 2009
    Hi there,

I am a comeback trumpeter and been lip buzzing scale tones fo a couple of weeks. My lip buzz is strong and smooth upto A above staff and below piano middle C. But when I put the mouthpiece to my lips, the buzz gets rough, sounds unpleasant particularly above third space C. I avoid mp pressure, only the minimum. Can someone please advice me what is happening? I live in a place where we dont have trumpet tutors. Therefore, your help could do me so real good. Thanks and regards