A ha Discoveries......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tunefultrumpet, Apr 18, 2009.

1. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    muzikborne2...here is my take on this. Lip buzzing and even mouthpiece buzzing are a quite different to how your lips actually work when producing a tone when the trumpet mouthpiece is in the horn. You shouldn't expect the lips to be functioning in the same way (You may see different opinions about this, I have seen famous player/teachers disagree about this point). I recommend keeping lip buzzing to a minimum, no more than two minutes per day. Focus your time on playing with the mouthpiece in the trumpet and producing a good tone. Practicing chromatic scales, or any sort of scale, slurred and very quietly with a crescendo as you ascend and descrescendo as you descend could be helpful too.

2. muzikborne2

muzikborne2 New Friend

Apr 17, 2009
    hi there,

Thanks a lot for your prompt. I think I ought to do what you suggest tho I guess some lip buzzing and even lip buzz-singing would help me develop a good emboucher since in my earlier years I used too much lip pressure.

Best wishes,

Paul

3. The Obscure One

The Obscure One New Friend

Mar 1, 2009
    CA
    To bridge from the topic back to the original, One realization I came to was that too much lip buzzing kills your tone and flexibility and that it's no substitute for some good old fashion playing.