A Heavy Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, May 5, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I was surprised too. Maybe these are remnants from Dave's connection to Allied?

Prana3 and a 4 valved Getzen flugel from the 70s. Perfect fit!

2. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    On my Monettes, the bottom caps are numbered and the horn plays noticeably worse when you accidentally mix them up. First thing to check when the horn plays funky after a cleaning.

I love my lightweight Monettes. Perfect balance of smoothness and stability like the old school heavy Monettes with the quick response of a Yamaha/Bach.

3. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    I had a Holton T-104 Symphony Series Trumpet for awhile. If it was a similar type clone,( sound wise) of one of the older Mount Vernon Bach trumpets.

The T-104 Symphony did have a wider lead pipe wrap etc.,but did not sound like a Conn Connstellation. Sounded more like a Bach #43/72 model Bach.

Based weight wise of the T-104 Trumpet I had,the older Bachs of the Mount Vernon era were heavy weight horns.

From the looks of the Holton T-101 Symphony, on some E-Bay Auctions I have seen. They look to be on the heavy weight side. Holton did make a lighter weight version,called a Holton T-102 Symphony.

Bach may have went back to some of their older weight specs.

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    ROFL I had to laugh when Rowuk referred to a pimped out horn. It had me thinking of maybe some bling that would add flavuh to the trumpet. I think the trumpet after market industry has promoted the mind think that their products ( Megatone...heavy bottom caps...even titanium valve stems !! ) can give us trumpeteers what we have always wished for. For me....stick a straw in a duck and I can get a nice tone from it.

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If a bit of weight was so definitive, wouldn't Bach, Getzen, Yamaha or Schilke use it as standard? Wouldn't the competitive edge for such little engineering investment be worth it for them? Why didn't the masters Renold and Vincent (or Eldon, Dominik, Jerry or the Getzen family) have at least the OPTION available. Were they too naive? Did they have no idea?

I can tell you why they don't offer this as standard: it simply doesn't work well with their designs. If you want a heavy horn, it need to be designed from the bottom up that way. I would suggest that a heavy horn is not the right solution for most.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think that the weight can work in certain situations. Everybody is different. A little tweak here or there could help. I played a Bach mouthpiece for a long time. When I went to the Monette it was a huge difference. Maybe the weight has something to do with it?

I think Bach doesn't worry about all the little tricks because it's too small of a market for them. They sell so many trumpets, why bother?

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
  8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yeah, but that is a new addition - not ever part of the "masters" engineering work.

I am not saying that heavy doesn't work. I have been playing Monette too long to ignore the other side. I am saying that Pimp-o-Mats are not part of the original design and not on the "standard" horns. Pure greed would make the companies use this if it universally fit.

9. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Darn it Rowuk - I've got this money burning a hole in my pocket and I was just getting ready to buy some Mega Super Doppler 9000 Heavy Wave Tech-Caps to go on my horn. I'm horribly disappointed to hear they don't work.

I suppose instead I'll just have to double my order of those hypnosis tapes that make you a better trumpet player while you sleep. Someone on eBay said they really work wonders, and he has 97% positive feedback!

;)

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey, there is nothing WRONG with trying stuff out. There is nothing wrong with supporting an industry. I just think that if there was an easy way to make a trumpet 10-50% better that required no additional engineering, every manufacturer would jump at the chance to get a competitive edge.

The manufacturers are just smarter than many want to admit.........