A help form a TM member

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Aug 13, 2012.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    well, a TM member (local357) gave me a great advice for my trumpet playing. basically just a few tips regarding embouchure. and I am screaming DHC.

thanks mate, whoever you are

although I had more than solid foundation because I breathe properly and have incredible air support. I am like a compressor in a way. So I only needed to sort out my embouchure

And he did that!

2. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Okay, thats great. But how about your pedal tones? How are they?

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Uh-huh. Care to share what it was?

Turtle

4. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    something along this lines

1. All lip flesh/mass within the mouthpiece stays soft and UN-flexed at all times and in all registers ESPECIALLY the upper register.

You can not cut off the airflow this way.

2. Upper lip must rest a little below the upper teeth or you will NOT have any notes above High C.

Just walk over to the mirror and observe the natural positioning of your upper lip relative to your teeth. Now lightly push your upper lip a hair lower downwards over the teeth. Not a roll nor a pucker necessarily. Just lower over the upper teeth by about and eighth of an inch. In THAT position you can play above a High D.

Ever wonder why so many trumpet players can not blow above a High D/ Yeah well now you know the answer. Hear any bells going off in your head now? Don't worry. You will.

5. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    it all makes sense, you have to have upper lip cleared of teeth. That is the reason jon faddis is so good, since he has practically a hole ih his teeth

the irony is however that maggio has knocked all his teeth off, only to develop flawed method

6. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    who is this guy this local357 anyway?

he wouldnt tell. I have a feeling though he might be one of the big cats. maybe even Faddis himself

7. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    my pedal tones are fine as always. for pedal tones Im using Arturo's advice of removing lower lip from the mp almost completely. I never had a problem with pedals. Only high register.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The first one makes sense. It seems like I've been discovering that for myself lately. Stretched lips don't vibrate as easily as relaxed ones. :dontknow:

Turtle

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:lol:

Turtle

10. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    I cant get enough of it

Im playing teapot music!!!!!

thank you local

although I had very strong foundation in my breathing. his advice just unlocked my super high register. So it didnt really come overnight

but still...