A hidden noise in my vocal box?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AamirH, Oct 22, 2007.

1. AamirH

AamirH New Friend

Oct 7, 2007
    Hey all,

I was just practicing some excercises, when I noticed a wheezing sound when I play my trumpet, especially on the high notes. It seems that when I try to force this wheezing sound to come out, when I'm not playing on my trumpet, it never comes, but when I play it always seems to be there.

I figure its my throat or vocal chords. They aren't opening enough and they seemed blocked. Is there any way to unblock them, or any excercises to try?

2. mahaberio

mahaberio Piano User

Apr 30, 2006
    Try playing some multiphonics. I like using them as part of my warm-up because youre throat HAS to be open and free to be able to do them. They really work for opening up your high register too as we often tend to close up our throats as go higher.

Try starting on a low C at a comfortable dynamic, hold it for a few beats and then come in singing the same pitch or one slightly higher (a 3rd or 4th would probably be easy to hear/sing). Feel that? It's an open throat. This is obviously just a guess at something that would help as no one can be sure what the issue is without actually hearing you play. Good luck!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    AAMIR,
    this is stuff for a teacher. If you start dissassembling your playing piece by piece, you will find sooooooooooooo much to worry about! You are right, you shouldn't be singing, wheezing or anything else except moving air. Without seeing and hearing you play, you will only get conjecture - not all of it qualified either.
    Get somebody in the know to give you a real live checkup. The internet is no good for that!

Mahaberio had a good suggestion to "experience singing on purpose".

Tension is most likely your problem, but that is something for a teacher!