A HUGE Thank You

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by erd402, Jan 15, 2011.

1. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    We got our all state audition results today. I was nervous about seeing them at first, but very relieved afterwards. I didn't make it, but I was very close. Out of 91 people I was #23, but #22 got the same score as me. My goal was to be in the top 1/3, which was a goal I met. The big thing for me though was that there were five people between me and making all state. I have been taking private lessons for about 2-3 months. This really stressed to me how valuable intelligent practice is. The first thought I had was that if I had started earlier, I would have made it. I still have next year when I WILL make it with my new goal: being in the top 10. I've already started work on the Hummel Concerto (movements 1 & 2) which I'm hoping to use for next year. This all got me thinking about how I got here, so is think some thank yous are in order.

1) The whole Trumpet Master community. Without all of you I wouldn't be the same trumpet player I am today. I've learned a lot from all of you, and I'm looking forward to learning plenty more. This site has been invaluable to me these past years. Without it I could never have gotten so far on my own before I got my private teacher.

2) My 5th - 8th grade band director. Without her none of this would have happened. I wouldn't be here, I wouldn't be playing trumpet, and I would be a completely different person. She has a nice long message waiting for her next time she logs on Facebook. She is the reason I am who I am, and I'm thankful beyond compare for what she has done for me.

3) My boss. if it wasn't for her I wouldn't be in the financial situation to allow me to take private lessons, have a nice trumpet, or even have a phone. She doesn't know it, but she is one of my greatest role models. When I see who I work with, people who drive 45 minutes to come to work at a fast food restaurant so they can live, I feel thankful to be able to drive 6 streets away at the age of 16 to work because I want to, not because I need to. If it wasn't for her I'd still be using my student trumpet trying to learn from experience and advice on here. She has opened up so many opportunities for me. She will hear my thanks at work next time I see her.

4) My parents. We know what they do. This one doesn't even need explained.

So now where do I go from here? I plan on going to Alderson Broaddus College in Philippi, WV as a music major. I've to talked to Dr. Tim DeWitt from there over phone and email and will be going up there in spring. Right now I just want to make as much progress as I can before college in one year. Then I will decide between music education or music performance.

Thank you all for changing me these past couple years. I am very thankful to have you all.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
    B15M likes this.
  2. SteveRADavey

SteveRADavey Pianissimo User

May 25, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Wow, you've got a fantastic attitude! Congrats on meeting your goal.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    At 16, having goals, working hard, and above all BEING GRACIOUS AND THANKFUL ---- YOU MY FRIEND ARE CHANGING US HERE AT TRUMPETMASTER.
    When you pass that on to your band director, boss and your parents --- then you INSPIRE THEM and help motivate them by your appreciation.
    What more can be said??? --- play on, encourage others, and be sure to pass on all these great lessons in life to those who are less fortunate than you or I.
    ken

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Wow! I'll be thankful if my daughter grows up to be anything like you. Keep up the good work, the world needs you.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Wow!! Fantastic!
    You'll find Dr. Tim to be a great instructor and a great person. He's probably the best trumpet teacher in the state and a good person to know if you plan to go professional.

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Such a well crafted post! I see some students still know how to express themselves without the use of computer shorthand, omg u r gr8t. You realy have your head screwed on straight because you realize that sucess is a group effort and taking every oportunity to the maximum pays off in big ways. Dont forget to thank God for every one of those people who have chosen to touch your life in such a meaningful way.

I wish you well in your musical career, however that forms. I suspect that you are of the caliber that will succede at whatever you put your mind to.

7. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    Don't worry, you won't be seeing any shorthand posts from me anytime soon. I can't stand when people do that. I have teachers complain about people writing essays in shorthand, which I find pathetic. I think that if you lack basic communication skills such as writing properly, or at least somewhat properly, then it will be hard to succeed in any professional environment. That and always using shorthand just proves that you are either ignorant or lazy.

8. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    What a great post. Good on you for putting that up. In this increasingly narcissistic world where everyone seems to think that they're owed everything, it is so refreshing to see someone who isn't whinging or making excuses about not making it. Furthermore, you've recognised where you can do better and have already started work. Mate, you're an inspiration and your determination to thank those who have helped you is beautiful.
    I agree with Larry: thank God that you have those people in your life. Many don't get anything like that kind of support.
    I wish you all the success. With your fine attitude and outlook, I trust that you will do very well.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    erd402,

Thanks for that wonderful post! We can all learn something from your gracious attitude. Bravo! Good trumpeting to you this year. I don't know .... I feel pretty confident you'll meet your new goal. I'm going back to the shed for some rethinking on my goals. Well done.:play:

Turtle

10. Equiner

Equiner New Friend

Jul 15, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Dear erd402,

As a school music teacher myself it does my heart good to hear students that are gracious and appreciative. Thank you.

Kathie