A 'Knot' in the centre of the upper lip???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gogs, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Gogs

Gogs New Friend

Oct 18, 2006
    I have seen many trumpet players' have a 'knot' or a piece of the centre of the upper lip sticking out, especially in jazz musicians.Clifford Brown belived it makes produce a nice sound.

Does anyone know of how to develop this 'knot'???

2. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    That's probably scar tissue from lots of playing and not so much rest. Just keep playing and take care of your health... I don't know of any miracle knots that will help your playing..

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I would highly suggest against trying to make your lip 'knot' like Clifford or any player. There is no way it will make you play better. Think of all the great players whose lips arent like that.
    Play with proper techniques and musicality and you too can sound like Clifford.

Bobby Shew once told me at a clinic about a guy who beleived that the teeth are the key to playing lead trumpet. He had actually filed his teeth down and convinced many lead players to do a mold of their teeth. When he wanted to play lead he could insert a pair of 'lead teethl' like a pair of dentures. Talk about insane.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Pressure, use lots of pressure.
    I was introduced to Miles on many occasions, Miles had C.R.S. On one of these meetings Miles grabbed my lip and said in that gravelly voice, that I wasn't a trumpet player because I didn't have that knot/scar tissue on my top lip.
    Miles had a much more colorful way of saying that........I can't repeat that at this site:oops:
    Wilmer

5. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Lol, scar tissue makes you play better? I suppose it doesn't MAKE you play better. Its just the practice that goes along with it. It is almost like a status symbol (I assume and only assume)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Satchmo's chops looked pretty beat up too! It probably goes with the territory - some players are just more sensitive than others. The way Maynard played you would have expected a face full of scar tissue - he was obviously doing something right (his scars were abdominal, hernias if I read right). His chops were able to withstand the beating. Miles wasn't so lucky or maybe the scar tissue was an inspirational factor for him.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    According to my history course at school, or a book I read, Satchmo used to use a razor blade to cut the scar tissue off his lip and then use a bit of cocaine to numb it.

8. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Satchmo also dug some grooves in his MP rim when he was younger, to keep the MP in one place. For a while, it messed up his chops.
    I ran into Laurie Frink in a grocery store on the Upper West Side of Manhattan after not seeing her for a number of years. She said "you must still be honking 'cause your lips have the marks."

9. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    So, are you supposed to have a knot? You get a knot if you are playing enough? I always thought that some of the players lips got "deformed" from playing so much, but maybe that's just the way thier lips look huh?

Trax

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    TT,
    that is not the way you are SUPPOSED to look. Some people just can't avoid it. Many players practice tons and have no signs of wear.