A 'Knot' in the centre of the upper lip???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gogs, Oct 31, 2006.

1. dkelley

dkelley New Friend

Jan 16, 2006
    What's CRS?

2. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    CRS is one of two things that I know either Congenital Rubella Syndrome or Can't Remember S*** syndrome. I'm opting for the 2nd option because Miles never showed signs of the Rubella..

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  3. ilikethetrumpet

ilikethetrumpet Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2006
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I always wondered how boxing affected Miles' playing. I mean, he doesn't seem like the type who would avoid taking a punch to the mouth. Of course, maybe I don't understand sparring of the sort that he would of done, maybe that doesn't involve the face too much. But hey, I'm not complaining about the sound.

Although I adore Clifford, and would give my firstborn child for his technique and facility, listen to the Night in Tunisia cadenza on the beginning and the end--I think it's the one recorded the night he died. It's an amazing, amazing, solo. (Actually, there's an entire scene of "Sideman," the play, that is just three trumpet playrers listening to it). But the high notes at the end of the cadenza sound like they really really hurt.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    It's not the night he died. I think it is a week or two prior.

5. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i have a small amount of it, from when i started i placed the mouthpiece too low.

6. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    What is C.R.S.? I think one of the great teachers hung a horn from the ceiling on a string and practiced playing high and low without pressure, or as little as possible. I guess the technique delayed "rag-lip". What should I do? I'm a 64 year young returning player still at the advanced beginner stage with a dream to develope Jazz Chops before the last note.

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    C.R.S. is meeting a person at least ten times, and not remembering ever having met them before.

As to getting Jazz Chops......find some players and start playing the music.
    Blues in Bb, some "I Got Rhythm" based tunes, and a few ballads....That's the South Philly way. Work all the while on your basics. Scales,chords and learning new tunes.
    Wilmer