A Life change

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Dec 28, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    As planned me & barliman(Elmar) visited Votrubas, I was to buy a somewhat case for my rotary cornet and bought a Ritter gigbag. and NOW funtime. I was to play Votruba's TARV trumpets. They needed a lot of air but it was a very fun thing. Also tried a Votruba rotary Bb and the air supply thing was the same. NOW this part is the main part. Elmar grabs off a shiny Vincent Bach 19037 model 50year anniversary Stradivarius trumpet made in Elkhart, Indiana which is around 3499 euros in sale price. I test the horn. It played like a Strad, but I preferred my former teacher's Strad which was silver and I won a Grand Prize in the brass section in a competition. I played a short fanfare and response was good and projection was excellent. Then he tells me to wait in the testing room. He comes back with another trumpet, a B&S Challenger Line I, mod 3137-L.
    WOW......
    I am really really surprised, it played better than the Stradivarius..... even the looks were very very similar too. If someone got this trumpet except engraved Bach Strad etc etc, and said to someone, "Hey, I got a Bach Strad!" they believe him. Not ONLY by looks, also by playing they would believe him. I think B&S horns are very underrated, and for you Bach strad lovers out there, try one of these they play like a charm!

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Nothing better than getting to blow some new brass

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, the Strad seems to be the standard by which many other horns are judged and compared. That is the reason a number of manufacturers make essentially clones of them. I have a Kanstul 1537 which is Kanstuls match/copy of the Strad. It plays a good bit better than most Strads and seems to be better made. Very nice craftsmanship. There are many others out there too. The Darby is also a clone- doesn't play quite as good but costs only 1/3 of a new Strad. Sounds like you have found another example. Enjoy your new horn!

4. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Thanks Steve

5. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    When I was looking around to upgrade from my student horn, I had the opportunity to play a B&S, along with a Shires, some Yamaha's, and several Bach's. Wanted to try Kanstul and Getzen, but couldn't run one down locally. Regardless, I loved the B&S, and purchased a Challenger II a few years ago. I've been very happy with it, and generally don't have the proficiency to outplay it.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You HAVE to play the B&S to be sure. Not all of them are that way. You got a good one. That is the advantage of going to a good shop with someone that has a good relationship with them. It is the reason why I let my techs do so much. What I get back is priceless!

7. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Oh, and very cool that you and Elmar got to hang out, by the way. My experience with TM friendships is that they are good ones.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, perhaps you let me chip in as well... BBM is really a great guy, considering that he truly is a product of this millennium... very mature in his musical approach (considering), and a really gifted trumpet player with an effortless two and a half octaves of range already. I had great fun showing him and his parents the delights of Brass in Vienna. At the beginning, we tried out the horns he managed to snare off e-bay - a rather wonky rotary cornet (luckily cheap), a well-preserved Windisch Bb rotary, and a really superb, almost as new Ganter G7aSN, from Hermann Ganter's best period. He really snagged a big one there!!
    And then we arrived at Votruba's at a very busy time, but they let us have a trying-out room and basically let us try anything that we fancied (sethoflagos knows the Votruba experience). And then we sat down to trying a few horns... a Votruba Zirnbauer TARV (impossible to hold, but cool looking, with the rotors right underneath the top pipe), then a Votruba Meinlschmidt TARV (less impossible to hold, but sucks up air like a 747 engine), then the Bach Strad 37 (priced at € 3499 special edition price). Really a well-sounding good player; but of course, the usual Strad percussion valves. And then, as BBM noted, I grabbed the Challenger I and we tried that... and it was really mind-blowing. The B&S was as much an upgrade from the Strad as the Strad would have been from a TR 300. And Votruba's then gave BBM a very good deal (in fact, he got a 20% discount on the horn at € 1090), threw in a few bottles of rotor oil and sorted out all his taxback forms for him... so everyone's very happy indeed. I may say that I am very proud of now knowing BBM in person, and will be very interested in his further career. And from what I've seen and heard, many people will hear of him in the future!

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  9. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I spent the whole evening playing Jazz pieces with my B&S, it was really fun!

10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Should you be near Munich on 15 January, I'll take you to big band rehearsal.