A little help for an indecisive man...

Discussion in 'Horns' started by RichN, Apr 6, 2005.

1. RichN

RichN Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2004
    UK (Mids)
    Please help. I want your opinions on what I should do, and more importantly, why.

After a lot of saving, I am now able to afford an Eclipse trumpet :D. Just. I already have a Bach Strad 37, a good one, but not a great one. I play mostly orchestral ensemble stuff, 95% on my Strad, although I do some flugel doubling on borrowed flugels. I love playing flugel, I'm probably a better flugel player than a trumpet player (used to double Eb Soprano and Flugel in brass bands!), but I hardly ever need one.

The question is, what Eclipse should I buy? The trumpets, particularly the LY, MY and MR, are head and shoulders above my Strad. The flugel is amazing. I can only get one :cry: .

I think my options are:

1. Keep the Strad and have Leigh rebuild it (I can actually see stress crazing in the bell, so this should help). Buy an Eclipse flugel.

2. Buy an Eclipse trumpet. Sell the Strad and get a second hand or cheap new flugel (Yamaha 6310Z / B&S Challenger etc.).

3. Buy an Eclipse trumpet. Sell the Strad and put the money away. Keep borrowing flugels whilst I save up for an Eclipse.

Anyone have any opinions? Why? I'm kind of leaning towards 3 at the moment, or maybe 2. I kind of think that as the Bb trumpet is 95% of my playing, I really should make that my best instrument. I'm really only a mediocre player, so I've got a huge amount of learning to do on trumpet anyway!

Confused and indecisive, England.
    (Rich).

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    You're a lucky man to have that dilemma :D

Personally, I'd get an Eclipse MR or LR, sell the Strad. You now can buy a good used Yamaha, Getzen, or Kanstul flugel, or you can save up and get the Eclipse flugel. Seeing as you said you hardly ever use one, I'd go with a used Kanstul. They're HARD to beat, no offense to Leigh and his outstanding craftsmanship.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Go for door "#2". Try the horns, especially the MY and MR. You'll probably end up with the MR.

4. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    You said you play mostly orchestral music. What kind of orchestral music are you referring to? Are you talking about a big band orchestra or are you speaking of concert band or symphonic orchestral music? If you play mostly concert band or symphonic music, I would seriously consider a MY Eclipse trumpet. If you play big band lead, I would seriously consider a MY Eclipse. If you play a lot of non-lead big band music and/or jazz, I'd seriously consider a MR Eclipse. I have a MR Eclipse, and find it a great all around trumpet. But if I played mostly big band lead or symphonic music, I think I would prefer a MY. If you play a good portion of both kinds of music, I don't think you could go wrong with either the MY or MR.

I'm partial to the MR, of course, since that's what I play. But some players, whom I respect, prefer an Eclipse with a little more "bite" in the tone for lead or symphonic music than they can get with my MR. I will say in all fairness that when I first got the trumpet, I found it to be on the dark side of the trumpet tone spectrum also. However, after playing it for a year, I can get just as bright or as just as dark as I want to on the MR. I don't think you can go wrong with either a MR or a MY.

I vote for buying a new Eclipse trumpet, selling the Bach and either adding its price to the kitty for a new flugal, or buying a nice second hand one.

5. RichN

RichN Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2004
    UK (Mids)
    I know! Although you have to understand that over here the list price of the Eclipse line is the same as a Bach Strad! If you imported a Strad from UK to US, you'd pay about $3000 for it...

I'm also lucky that I can actually go to the Eclipse workshop and try out the trumpets. Leigh may not be a player but he's got a damned good set of ears, and I can take our first chair trumpet player for a second opinion. I've actually already tried pretty much every Eclipse trumpet there is, including a few really interresting 'development' ones that aren't in the 'official' catalogue yet.

In terms of tone, I don't think my Strad is too far off what I'm looking for, but I would like a little more warmth / richness to it without losing the projection.

It's pretty varied really. It's the ensemble that's orchestral rather than the music as such. Five trumpets, four trumbones, bass trombone, tuba and two french horns. Kind of Philip Jones Brass Ensemble style. We play most types of music, from baroque to rearranged orchestral to show tunes to jazz quintet. Quite good fun! About the only thing I'm not likely to play much of is big band / jazz lead.

I think I'm getting pretty comfortable with Option 2 :cool:

Rich.

6. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Rich - it sounds to me that eventually you are going to end up with both an Eclipse Flugel and Trumpet. How much do you play Flugel?

Option 4.1:
    Anyway if I were you I would buy the Eclipse Flugel now as you say you want a flugel. If you buy any other flugel you will be disappointed, end up selling it, and lose money in the long run.

I say buy the flugel now rather than the trumpet as you say you have a good Bach Strad trumpet which you like at the moment. Keep it while you save for the eclipse trumpet and then you will have both without losing too much money.

In terms of which model you to get - I really liked the Large Red. You should get the one you like, and I think as long as you get a MR, MY, LR, LY you will be able to make them fit any situation. I think Leigh believes this as well. In my opinion I thought all of these Eclipse trumpets should be able to blend but the slightly heavier ones and copper ones would be more difficult. The standard weight Eclipse trumpets are very versatile in my opinion so I would get the one you prefer.

I got a Red Flugel last summer and it is wonderful and I am going to test the trumpets this summer to get an Eclipse trumpet. I think I will be deciding between the large Red and Medium Red.

Decisions, decisions! Good luck with yours!

MM

7. gmdean

gmdean New Friend

Jan 13, 2004
    Canterbury, England
    Just a thought but I'd have thought Leigh would turn your "good not great" Strad into a "great Eclipse modified" one which would probably be worth a bit more on Ebay.

So IMHO get the Eclipse trumpet, whichever is best for you, but also get Leigh to work on your Bach (unless he makes an offer you can't refuse on trade in) and save the money from the sale towards the Flugel of your dreams.

Best
    Mark

8. Groove Merchant

Groove Merchant New Friend

Mar 1, 2005
    Arizona
    Rich,

I would go with option #2. Get an eclipse trumpet that will account for 95% of your playing and as good a used flugel as you can afford with the money from selling your strad. When the time comes to buy the Eclipse flugel you should be able to sell your used one for a decent price as the better ones seem to not depreciate in value too much. This option gives you both the Eclipse trumpet and a flugelhorn to play, and still keeps the option of getting the Eclipse flugel in the not-too-distant future.

Jack

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Now you've REALLY got something to be indecisive about! A whole bunch of different opinions! LOL.

10. Adrian_H

Adrian_H Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    How about choice 5:

Save for a little longer then go along to the factory, offer your Bach as a trade in, and buy a matching trumpet and flugel set!