A little help with Horn and mouthpiece description and braces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TheSlur, Feb 22, 2009.

1. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    Hello everyone. Iam about to to get a new horn and mouthpiece(Getzen 3051 and a Bach MEGATONE 3C which is a Megatone version the C that I am playing right now) and I was wondering what these terms mean:
    Bite:
    Slotting:
    And also i was wondering how long does it usually take to recover your embouchure from wearing braces? I own a braceguard which helps a lot but is meant to feel like nothing is there. Would my embouchure still have to rebuild after that?

Thanks for all the help!:thumbsup:

2. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    Bite refers to the inner edge of the rim of the mouthpiece, its shape in terms of roundness or sharpness. Slotting is how easily and firmly notes lock into their respective pitches on a horn.

Thinking back to my youth, I think it took me a month or two to get my chops back after having braces removed. The important thing is to have kept playing, IMO.

3. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    Thank you VERY MUCH Tunefultrumpet.

4. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    I remember when I was a kid and got my braces off my teeth felt so smooth they felt slimey:-P

Don't sweat it. As mentioned, give it a month or two to adjust.

Have fun with that new horn!!

5. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You are going to love the Bach Megatone 3C. It is going to give you a nice rich deep tone and great slotting.