A Little Leaking, Too Little Pressure???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldlips48, Feb 13, 2009.

1. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I find that I have a little interference from the moustache, none from the full beard, but I'm probably the only one who can hear it. Based on personal experience, I'd say: DON'T SHAVE THAT MOUSTACHE. I did that once, and I ended up working for a bank. Believe me, you don't want that to happen to you. I promptly grew it back and haven't shaved it since.

2. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    There is such a thing as good pressure... keeping the horn to your face with a seal allowing the air to travel in to the mouthpiece. Someone above suggested pushing the lips in to the mouthpiece... this is what I tell students to do. DO NOT pull the horn to your face, but rather push your face toward the mouthpiece. Keeping the lip tension down and keeping excessive pressure off of them will allow them to vibrate.

I have found over the years that some lip balm with petroleum garbage in them makes dry skin worse. Try using something with olive oil or lots of Vitamin E. And drink LOTS of water. Soda dries you out! Just my two cents...