A Little Mnozil to Wake Up To

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by max3k, Jun 5, 2008.

1. max3k

max3k Mezzo Piano User

Jan 7, 2007
  2. MaynardTrumpet

MaynardTrumpet Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    I find them funny lol.

3. trumpetjens

trumpetjens Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2005
    Mnozil Brass...GREATEST ever!

OK, it's time to make another bold statement...I love these moments! I would like to go on record as saying that I believe the Mnozil Brass is the greatest brass group in the history of the genre. They have a higher level of sheer virtuosity, ensemble, overall musicality and stylistic flexibility, comedic timing, and staging than any group in history...and they sing too...very well I might add. In short, this is a group that just gets it!!!

Anyone who has seen them throughout Europe understands. As this is a primarily North American based web forum, very few people here have seen them live. Youtube clips are fantastic but for anyone who thinks they understand Mnozil from seeing them on a computer, listen to what our European, Australian and Asian friends have to say who have experienced them live. They have a magic spell on an audience from beginning to end of a concert and the energy they build up and their sheer manipulation of the audience's emotions (of course, I say that as a huge compliment) is absolutely unprecedented. This does not negate the great work of other groups like Boston Brass (my current favorite quintet), Empire, Dallas, German, Synergy, etc and my old colleagues Canadian, it is to say however that Mnozil has launched an entirely new standard for what is possible.

They have been commissioned by the esteemed Salzburg Festival to produce their second full scale opera (their first was Das Trojanische Boot which was enthusiastically received by both audiences and critics throughout Europe) this summer. Not only are their shows side-splittingly funny, they have some of the highest individual virtuosity ever witnessed on stage (Thomas Gansch/trumpet and Zoltan Kiss/trombone in particular...both freaks of brass nature) and the ensemble playing of the three trumpets and three trombones (anchored by stellar tuba playing) is impeccably amazing, in tune, balanced and all with a beautiful sound that becomes a terrifying wall on command. Further, just when you thought that it was simply a virtuosic comedy act, they come along and play (or sing) something with such poignant beauty that it brings the other tears as well.

I have waited my entire career to see a group take it to the next level and Mnozil is that group. Anyone who witnessed their Canadian debut at ITG last week will agree. They have only performed in North America a couple of times and I am certain that they will eventually give more concerts here. This is the perfect example of the fact that the internet has given them an underground cult following but does not do them nearly enough justice...any young, ambitious groups should take careful note of their creativity...Mnozil Brass are the reigning kings of the brass world!

Jens Lindemann
    Jens Lindemann's Web Quarters
    Canadian Brass (1996-2001)

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Re: Mnozil Brass...GREATEST ever!

I agree 100% Jens!!

I saw them in their debut at the New Jersey ITG.

Incredible!!!!

I bought their DVD "SEVEN"

Thomas Gansch and the crew are all you say.

Gansch stole the show at the jam session in NJ too!

If you get the "Seven" DVD, be sure to watch the extra scenes, like their classes on river boats. Truly exceptional musicians and teachers!!

-cw-

I heard from Ed Grant that they had a little fun with YOU also in Banff!