A little note help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Outkastah, May 24, 2010.

1. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Hi everyone!

Ok so, over the summer I was playing like 10 hours a day everyday above the staff almost all the time and I had somehow managed to get a solid double C goin'. But now during the school year I dont have time to play 10 hours a day so my Double C has turned into a strange squeek. It has the right pitch just not the right sound. I know if I do millions of little exersizes I could get it back; but I was wondering if anyone out there knows anything less.. tedious...

Thanks!
    Justin

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Solid Double C? More than an octave above the staff?

If it is gone, you didn't learn it correctly as 10 hours is not required to build the chops, brains and air to support it. Your breathing or chops is messed up (or both). We can't diagnose that over the internet even if we believe it.

The best thing would be to find a working lead player that really knows something about very high notes and let them see what is wrong. DIY upper register is often no recipe for success.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    10 hours a day?

Up at 6. Play an hour.
    Breakfast and a shower and back to the horn at 8.
    Play 3 hours. Go outside and walk or work in the yard until 12:30. Have lunch and then back to work on the horn for 3 more hours. Now it is 4 or 4:30.

Rest, read the paper, do some chores, have dinner and then back to the horn for 3 more hours. It is now 9 or 9:30. a bit of TV and hit the sack. Up again at 6 and back to it.

Realistically, no one does that.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Not to mention 10 hours of upper register playing is just about the biggest waste of practice time one can do.

5. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    OUCH!!! I can't believe you made it through the day...seriously though I really can't believe it. Did you spend any time on making music?

6. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    He said he was playing "like" 10 hours.

Could have been 8 or maybe 12.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Any "student" that says 10 hours and solid double C normally deserves the lounge. Students that really own a double C really don't post about it, no need to, they get their recognition from those in front of the horn. I can't think of any more ridiculous combinations of things others are supposed to be jealous of.

10 hours of being present in a playing experience could happen with DCI training or some project summer orchestra. The actual playing time would be maybe half on a tough day.

I won't say impossible. I will say that any player that invests and truly survives 10 hours daily over time does not ask us how, they tell us how.

I'm watching the thread VERY closely.

8. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Okay, so like I've figured this out just now after thinking about it for like 10 seconds. When will high be high enough, I said to myself silently, because nobody was in the room when I was saying it and I didn't want anybody who wasn't there to think I was talking to myself. So, there I was, thinking why not use a dog whistle as a mouth piece and plug into my trumpet. Man, I was in the stratosphere! The note was SO high, I had to start the song on the second page to have enough room over the staff to write it down!
    Seriously, whyhowwhen did the trumpet world decide to measure our abilities on how high we can play? Yes, I know there are those of you out there that know better, but after 40 years of trumpets in & out of my life, it still seems range is the guide that players, old & new, look for in their horn playing.
    So, now that I've turned on the gas, somebody light the match and let's get this one heated up. Tell me, how important is it and what is high enough?:cool:

9. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston

I had this whole thing typed up but I figured it would be better to sum it up.... Yes.