A lot of questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ccb_22, Mar 7, 2010.

1. ccb_22

ccb_22 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmington
    I've been having a lot of questions lately, so I thought I would just lump them all in to one big fun post. Feel free to one or all of my many questions.

1. Sometimes, but not always, my front teeth have been hurting after practicing. This has only been happening in that last two weeks or so. I don't think I'm playing with any more pressure, and I haven't gained or lost any range, sound quality, technique.

2. I live in North Carolina. In looking for a new C Trumpet, I have contacted almost every music store I know of - and none of them have pro horns in stock or will order one for me to try. They will only order it if I buy it first. Yet, I read posts on this forum and others recommending that you play test first, and even take the horn home for a few days, and try it out with your section to see how it blends in the ensemble. Where are these stores? Do these places really exist? As far as I can tell, the closest in stock pro horn is at Dillon's in New Jersey - 10 hours or so. Should I suck it up and make the trip?

3. Ok, so I thought I had more questions than that, but they're not coming to me. If I think of them, I'll let you know. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Jcoffey

Jcoffey New Friend

Aug 20, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Washington Music in MD is a bit closer than NJ Chuck Levin's
    also check forums and stuff to see if anyone in the area is selling. I can poke around the Atlanta scene for you if you'd like. PM me if you're interested

3. Gliss Girl

Gliss Girl Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2009
    Portland, MI
    To address your "C" trumpet search - I'd recommend sucking-up and making the trip to either Dillon's, or possibly Chuck Levin's Washington Music, which, in Maryland, would be a closer trip from North Carolina.

I also sought advice about a month ago from TM'ers to find a selection of horns to try. These two stores were most highly recommended as being closest to me, in Michigan. I was just at Dillon's last week (fortunately I had frequent flyer reward miles) There, I could try as many horns as I wanted, new and used, at my own leisure and without sales pressure. I bought a new Calicchio 1S/2 Bb. Dillon's had several used C trumpets hanging on their wall too. I really don't know what they would have in new C's but you could certainly call and check. Chuck Levin's Washington Music Chuck Levin's, is an unknown to me, since I didn't do too much research on that store, but it might be worth a call to check their C trumpet inventory.

Certainly, that I bought after thorough testing makes me feel very comfortable with my purchase, where if I had practiced buying without trying, I'd have ended up with something different, and would have been very susceptible to buyer's remorse.

As for the cost in dollars and time for travel...just try to think of it as only fractions of pennies more spent for each hour of enjoyment you'll get out of your new horn.

Best of luck to you!

4. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Glad you were able to go the way you wanted and got a fine horn and appreciated TM'er's advice. Hope ccb_22 is as successful.:thumbsup:

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Wish we had stores like that around here. Selection here is terrible. Only one in the area with higher end horns, and he's a real snob. Wouldn't buy an instrument from him on a bet.......Buck:-(:oops:

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    If your front teeth are hurting, are you possibly pitching the trumpet up a little and at the same time pitching your head down or some variation of this? If so, this can cause an undue amount of pressure on the upper lip and upper teeth

7. Gliss Girl

Gliss Girl Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2009
    Portland, MI
    You, know, Buck, I smell a business opportunity for someone in Chicago. It must really annoy all of the pros (let alone other amateurs like me) in the City of Big Shoulders not to have someplace like Dillons/Chuck Levins. A junket to Chicago for us fly-over staters is way more conceivable!

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    GG, Been through Chicago twice driving. The D.E. during rush hour is not my cup of tea. took longer to drive through there than it did to cross the whole state of Indiana!:oops:

9. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    The selection at Dillon's could make the trip well worth the time and expense. However, I will make a recommendation that may seem obvious to you but was not to me the first time I went there. Do some prep work first. Fortunately I live within reasonable driving distance to Dillon's because the first time I went I was totally overwhelmed and confused. I just wasn't used to trying out so many horns. I kept changing my mind about which sounded or felt best and when I left I didn't feel like I had accomplished anything. Now, after some experience trying different horns I feel like I can go into this situation and be capable of making some better choices.

So if you have the opportunity you should play as many unfamiliar horns as you can get access to, before you make the trip. I don't think they all have to be great horns, just different. If you are in a band and can get your hands on five or six horns at the same session that would be very helpful. It's much different to compare a selection of horns than it is to do A/B tryouts. That's what confused me. I believe doing this can give you a good basis for comparing many horns quickly.

Sorry if this seems like an obvious recommendation, but like I said, it wasn't to me on my first trip to Dillon's.