A lung biopsy?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Feb 7, 2013.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Hey,gmonady. I have had a couple of ct scans of my lungs. At one point last August I had walking pneumonia. They have also done ct scans of my sinuses. The Doc says they are a train wreck. I kind of think we should fix the sinuses and see what that does to the rest of the problem.

Thanks for the input!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Good luck, and if you like, do PM me for updates or if you have questions you doc asks you and you would like me to explain. As this is a highly personal medical issue, I will from here on save my discussion only for you in the PM mode. Again, good luck!

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Ah,HIPPA:oops:

Mike, I hope they get to the bottom of it for your sake:cool:

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Mike, I too hope you are well soon. If this is what your lungs are like as a trumpet player - imagine how poorly you would be if you didn't play. Perhaps you need to take up the pipes for some more exercise? Just trying to help you stay positive.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Mike,

I'm really sorry to hear of your difficulties. I pray the doctors have super-vision and that you feel better soon and make a speedy and complete recovery.
    All you TMers - let's keep Mike in our prayers! Think of him when get ready to play.

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Many thanks to you guys. I appreciate your prayers and concern. I'll keep you informed when i know more.

7. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I suggest getting some Osha Root. It's a somewhat endangered plant but is a highly effective lung tonic. It's powerful anti microbial action can knock out the worst of them. Search the net...Order some. It tastes very strong, also has a pungent celery like aroma. My nephew was in the hospital with an unknown respiratory ailment. He nearly died. Days later I think I acquired the same bug.

I could not breathe well, I had a 102 fever. I never felt sicker in my life. I made 2 liters of strong Osha root tea...Also chewed and sucked on the root. The next day my temperature was 98.5

I call it a good placebo if I ever saw one. Another good one is Reishi mushroom tea, it's woodsy and quite pleasant. Good luck. Doctors can only guess so much. Unless they actually culture your problem and identify it, they'll have no darn idea if steroids or antibiotics will work.

I'd rather gamble with harmless herbs than compromise my immune system long term with prednisone. Another no brainer is quite simple one teaspoon baking soda dissolved into 8 ounces warm water. Drink a few of those a day. Baking soda is a pretty decent anti fungal if it is any sort of fungal infection.

It's funny they'd rather throw bullets at the systems of the problem than actually find out what it is.

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hey BC. Of course we're all friends here. Let me first say that I agree that there is a place for homeopathic therapies, although the evidence of their effectiveness is not always present. But I thought it best to clarify a couple things that are easy to misunderstand.

You're 102 fever was likely from a viral upper respiratory infection. The presumed "antimicrobial action" of Osha Root (or any traditional antibiotic) would have had no effect on this. And drinking 2 liters of ANY LIQUID would have helped your fever go down.

For the record, in greater than 99% of the respiratory infection cases I see in the Emergency Department, I can easily determine if steroids and/or antibiotics are needed. However, regarding the OP's pleural effusion and pneumonia, this IS NOT simply an issue of antibiotics versus steroids.

I can appreciate that a lack of understanding about certain medical issues can cause someone to doubt his treatment plan or search for alternative therapies. If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, talk to your physician about it (or get a second medical opinion).

Mike

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    What my pulmonologist says about my playing the brass is that it augments the spirometer and other gadgets he provides for my COPD ... keep doing it whereas it wards off the eventuality until later. Later is OK with me and I'll enjoy it until then. I'm just not thrilled with the cost of Rx medications.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    speedy recovery Mike