A Mad Trumpeter's Experiment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Maxim A. Potashov, Jan 1, 2014.

1. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Also, this is a really geeky point, but there's 8 possible valve combinations. People forget about valve 3 pressed by itself (like alternate fingering for E or A).
    ........are you sure about that making 8?........... :)

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Hardly a geeky point if you're facing a G#/A trill.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    First song I played in church was in concert E!!!! I had NEVER EVER played in that key! I decided to learn all my scales regardless of how often it might be used. Someone posted a long time ago that the only difficult keys were the ones you didn't practice. I got so familiar with concert B, I began to have trouble with the "simple" keys. A musician explained to me that there were band keys and church keys because of instrumentation. He also explained that with limited time in a beginning classroom setting (band), he concentrated on the most common keys students would encounter.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Learned that one EARLY in my church playing education.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    1+2=3, but often 2= (1+2+3)=7.

6. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Possible valve combinations:
    1+2
    1+3
    2+3
    1+2+3
    all valves up

...that's 8, n'est ce pas?

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars:

8. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    You left out the spit valves. They would create a lot more combinations.

9. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown

Psssst, Tobylou8! just think of F# in the staff. With a Bb, 1=(1+2+3)=7.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Scales for me are more about hand position/patterns than notes - to me F# and Gb are one and the same because I typically only think about it as a starting note, although to be fair, when considering it from a relative major point of view, I almost always think about it as F# minor with A being the relative major, rather than thinking about it as Gb minor with Bbb being the relative minor. Again, it's more about the finger paterns for me and what's going on with my ear.

When I went about really digging into my scales a few years back to truly get them all under my fingers for the first time in my life, I thought about this subject - why is any scale patern inherently any harder than others? I think part of what makes them "harder" is kind of what Peter McNeill said - they are harder because we learn them last, and they are used the least - we just don't have the same amount of exposure to them...until you start playing more obscure keys in a rock and roll band, in which case seeing 6-7 sharps or flats in a key signature isn't that unusual anymore.