A Mad Trumpeter's Experiment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Maxim A. Potashov, Jan 1, 2014.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    It is a shame that there aren't more Bb minor songs IMO.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Compare the Db Maj fingerings to C Maj and tell me the C ones are easier.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Personally, I've never worried about the concert keys on my Bb instruments I just play a tone higher and watch my double sharped key signature. It only gets wicked in Major keys of F# and C# and the minor keys of d# and a# where I'd wish for a C instrument ... but how often do I encounter these ... I haven't yet.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    No big deal on a Bb instrument as you'd be playing in either Eb M or C m with the common Bb, Eb, and Ab. It has been my experience, that very seldom do Bb trumpet players encounter more than 3#s or 3bs all the way through high school here in the US. If they do, it is by their own choice, not their director's. I'm not saying such music hasn't been composed, but I'm now in a position to transpose it to another concert key if I wanted to.

My point being that once you're proficient with a chromatic scale on your instrument, what the notes are called matters little, they just have a certain fingering that you are familiar with one as readily as another.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I'm saying it is a shame they don't encounter more songs in the relative minor of C#(concert), Bb minor, because it is a fun key to play.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Patrick, when such appears in music set FOR MY Bb TRUMPET, for me it is about equal to music with none of either, I know the fingering about equally. By what you state, I perceive you play this way also. Yes, I suppose I could learn the names of all the notes as could be played on a Bb trumpet in each of the 8 valve positions, but it wouldn't improve my playing an iota.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ed, I think I get what you mean - I see a key signature, and I really don't think about it too hard in terms of what notes are sharped or flatted - I just kind of play it according to fingering pattern and then watch out for accidentals. Some keys are easier than others - like Veery said, C major is MUCH easier coming off of the fingers than Db major, no matter how much I practice Db - but otherwise, I usually don't think in terms of notes. I see it, and my brain breaks it down into phrasing and melodic lines, and the fingerings mostly happen automatically for anything that I have practiced and know half-decently. For those songs, the written chart is more of a reminder of where things go within the context of the piece. For charts I don't know as well....let's just say I'm not the best reader in the world. :D

I don't know if this still pertains to scales or not, although most western music relates back to the diatonic scale in some form or fashion.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Can't remember the composer, but the idea was cool. It was a modern piece for trumpet and piano, with the pianist being a trumpeter. The piano part consisted of Clarke exercises but used trumpet fingerings on the c, d and e keys. All kinds of nifty rests and clusters in a score that would be very difficult for a pianist would be easy as pie for any good trumpet player.