A Man Yelled at Me at the Beach Today for Practicing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kornork, Oct 26, 2009.

1. kornork

kornork New Friend

Oct 26, 2009
    I just started playing trumpet 2 months ago. Out of consideration to my neighbors and general embarrassment, I've been going to a public park at the beach during lunch to practice. I own a mute, but enjoy the sound much more playing without one.

Today during practice a man came up to me, furious, cussing and calling me an inconsiderate prick for bothering him.

Had this man come to me in a polite way, I would have tried to find somewhere else to play.

As it is, I don't want to leave just because someone yells at me. I'm pretty sure it's legal to play the trumpet in a public park at noon, but I'm not sure of the local laws.

Has anyone else encountered this kind of situation?

2. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    I've done it while waiting for a bus in the days before I bought a car, play quietly and try to avoid people and don't play down-wind I guess would be my only suggestions lol it should be legal as long as you're not asking for donations (but you're just practicing, so if people give you money, I'd say that's cool :cool:).

Don't worry about him, if he continues to be there while you practice, just enjoy the sun until he leaves, that'd be my suggestion. Sometimes it's easier to just wait, than fight a stubborn mule.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My landladies adult daughter did a similar thing many years ago. She yelled at my second son for practicing (my rent contract has a "practice clause"). I explained to her that NO ONE yells at my kids except me, she ran to her mother crying and now we have an additional room in the cellar - at no extra cost.

Turn desasters into assets. Next time ask what that dudes favorite tune is.

4. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    Arm yourself with knowledge, and check with your local bylaws. If you're in the right, then let the dude know that next time he beaks off. Be cognizant of him though...might be a nutjob looking for an excuse, especially if you're in his ear day after day. :play:

Joe

5. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Tell him that he's jealous that he can't play.
    In a public situations you are usually allowed to play.
    But check your city's regulations.
    And make sure you're actual on public property and not an privatly owned park.

6. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Hello Kornork and welcome to Trumpetmaster. If you have the right to play in that park you have as much rights as the upset man. In contrast trumpet players are known as brash, loud, and self centered type people. I was told this by a flute player anyway.:D You should always do the right thing. You said if he had asked you politely you would have gone somewhere else to practice. Even if he does the wrong thing you can still do the right thing. Good Luck, Bobby

7. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Trumpetup,

DCI did a special on brass players and their sterotypes.
    Youtube DCI brass personalities.
    Very funny and some what true.
    They use phantom regiment as their test dummies.

Enjoy

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    In this day and age it's best to avoid a confrontation , this guy could be a psycho looking for an excuse to hurt you or worse.

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Don't forget that as with other things people like to do on the beach.....sand is NOT good when it gets in the wrong places.

I would be very careful taking my horn on a beach.

And to tell you the truth....I would not want to hear somebody honkng away while I am trying to enjoy the beach myself. I am sure you don't need to practice there.

Unless you're giving a concert, and are very good, practice elsewhere.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Pick up a harmon mute. If you're at the beach with a harmon mute in your horn nobody will hear you unless they're right next to you.