A Man Yelled at Me at the Beach Today for Practicing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kornork, Oct 26, 2009.

1. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Sorry,but I'm not with most of you on this one. Trumpets are not everyone's cup of tea and can cause offence. I don't appreciate when the twit down the street comes home at 3AM with his 12,000 watt Bose sound system in his car rolling down the street. Find a private place to practise.:thumbdown:

2. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    To be honest, i'd be quite annoyed if someone was sitting on a bench in a park playing scales or tonguing exercises, if however, they were playing music, I'd either join in or sit there listening.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Don't practice outside. No one wants to hear someone practicing, especially at a vacation/leisure spot. To most (me included), it's just unwanted noise. Practice behind closed doors....perform in public for people who want to hear it.

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Learn a few tunes and open up your case. Then you're not practicing, you are busking. You could make lunch money.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Do you know Rick Chartrand????

Yeah, busking will get you off the beach permanently...good.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    You slay me Chuck!

Agreed, don't practice outside, its rude.

7. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Kornork, there is no definitive answer to your question. The neighborhood I live in now, you couldn't think about playing a trumpet outside, even in a public space, unless it's a scheduled event. But in urban areas I've formerly lived in, you could hear impromptu conga sessions late into the night as well as many other less attractive sounds. So it really depends on where you live, and you have to be sensitive to the expectations of people around you.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I don't think in a well-used public spot that it is very considerate to practice. However, I don't think your detractor was in the right either. I would have asked him, while putting my horn away and smiling, if he thought anyone was really interested in hearing him practice for the Jerry Springer show.

v

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, I respectfully disagree with those who think that one should not practice outside. As long as you're considerate of the setting and play at an appropriate level, I see nothing wrong with it. If I want to get in more than an hour or so of practice time each day I have to utilize my lunch break. During the spring and summer it's too hot to practice in my car, so I have to be outside.

As I said earlier in this thread, if I'm sitting outside with a harmon mute in the horn (no stem), it is very difficult for anyone to hear me playing unless they're right on top of me. I usually find a bench that's a bit out of the way and just play. I usually practice tunes and melodic "improv" stuff (for what it is!) so anyone who does hear me is getting more that Clarke studies.

Now if I was in a quiet park where people go to sleep or read and I was practicing the Maynard version of MacArthur Park, then yes, it would be inappropriate. Otherwise if you're considerate of others, there's no reason not to be outside.

10. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    I love the mute idea. Living in a condo, and planning to begin trumpet again very soon after over 25 yrs off, I am very aware of how badly my skills will suck, and will definitely be using a mute....I may even go so far as to drive off in my SUV several times a week to combine a nice drive as well as muted/inside vehicle practice.

Once I improve, I may even crack a window....or let the mute slip out accidentally. :shhh:

Joe