A Man Yelled at Me at the Beach Today for Practicing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kornork, Oct 26, 2009.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Have fun with the comeback Joe. Good thing about the car is that you can play as loud as you want...as long as the windows are up.

While playing with a mute isn't the idea setup, there are a few that will really keep you quiet. I picked up a blue practice mute from Dylan at New York Trumpet Company that works like a dream (not sure of the brand). When I need to be REALLY quiet I use a Yamaha Silent Brass...

2. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    Thanks!

I've been researching Yamaha Silent Brass and similar products, and may end up going that route, though I understand how less than idea then are in certain respects. Can you do me a favour and take a look for the brand of mute you found 'works like a dream'? That might suffice for practicing here. Mind you the woman down below seems to be a litany of complaints to the property corp...:thumbdown:

Joe

3. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Excellent!

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, there's a sticker on it that says Wallace Collection - made in Germany, but I don't see it listed on the NYTC Website (www.newyorktrumpetcompany.com) so you may want to give them a call or shoot them an e-mail. The mute is made of cardboard (I think), is blue, and has some kind of small metal cylinder inside. Less backpressure than the Silent Brass but very quiet. Also much cheaper than Silent Brass.

5. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    Excellent lead gbdeamer!

Sorry for the thread pirate folks.

Joe

6. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    I've recently started practicing on my lunch hour at a local park. Luckily, this is primarily a "Little League" type of park, so there are not a lot of people around until the late-afternoon. But I do try to find as deserted a place as possible so as to not bother others. Also, I did consider bringing along a mute at first. However, I've been advised to practice un-muted as much as possible.

7. TrumpetLucian

TrumpetLucian Pianissimo User

May 7, 2009
    Indiana
    I think practicing outside is fine. It its in the middle of the park, and not past 10 p.m. there shouldn't be any local law against you doing that. Go for it!

8. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    lol.

In Japan, I played in the park alot because many apartments are small and most students if they have to, practice either in school or outside.

So I played in the park. Many other people did also; I wasn't only one practicig for sure. People also played at train station, but those were like pros.

I dont ever try that in America, lol. I haven't been to any park nowhere as big as the park in Tokyo yet; even so, I prefer practicing at home.

But since that man harassed you at the beach, try a big park, or maybe by a pond, or something. Go somewhere with people (not too many, not too little), because practicing somewhere outside by yourself could be dangerous unfortunately.

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I would feel uncomfortable to practice in public. After all, practice is not for public use. Performance is. Busking is ok, but that's already a performance. Why would anyone who went to a park for a walk or to have some silence would like to hear my scales, cracked notes and endless repetition of a lick, no matter how cool the lick is?

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    The parks I go to are large enough for everyone to enjoy, so those who want solitude will find a quiet place if they want to. If you're concerned about the tastes of your "audience" then practice playing/memorizing songs in the park and leave the scales and repetition for your family to enjoy.

I don't think there's a mandate that anyone must practice in public, but for those of us who need to "find" time in the middle of the day, sometimes a public place is the best option.