A message from Herbert L. Clarke

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Nov 15, 2010.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    A message from Herbert L. Clarke.

"I started to study music magazine advertising telling "how to become a good cornet player without any special practice" through the agency of a lip salve, embouchure ointment, or high C mouthpieces. Of course, I sent for each article, trying it out according to the directions that accompanied each package. You see, I was bound I would become a good player, and when I saw the testimonials from prominent cornetists endorsing these artificial "helps," I thought they might improve my playing. After using them while my playing was no better, in fact, I seemed to go backwards, so I resumed my practice of elementary exercises, playing as before, slowly and correctly, carrying in my mind each note before sounding it. Building a firm foundation, strengthening my embouchure, as well as purifying my tone, were the results of such practice, which has proved to me to be the best and surest road to success. I discarded all artifice and adhered to the manner most natural for me, practicing for endurance and perfection. " - Herbert L. Clarke

2. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    " Sometimes it is amusing to ask a certain type of "know-it-all" to demonstrate himself, the brilliant performance to be obtained from the knowledge of his "secret", for it will generally be found that no "demonstration" will be forthcoming." Herbert L.Clarke

3. tjer52

tjer52 New Friend

Nov 24, 2009
    I would have told you to stay away from those gimmick nonsense. It's a pity that some of these things are being endorsed by some famous players

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I have a secret for wonderful fantastic playing, practise practise and when you're fed up with that practice some more. The only thing I would add is that sine I got my cheap D/Eb my lip has become stronger on my Bb (maybe I'm practicing more on it)

Cheers

Andrew