A new kind of lip wear?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    hey guys, just kinda got a new feeling and I am guessing I should call it quits for the day. I have an important lesson tomorrow with one of the local cats. Had to practice a lot today. Not that I procrastinated, but rather I just had to polish up some of the charts that he named off for me today. Took about an hour and a half break, now I am wanting to hit it again. In the past when I have done an all day practice, I would use too much pressure and would find my inner lip getting hurt from where one of my center bottom teeth slightly protruded. This time though, I can feel almost the feeling of "Wear" on both lips. It's not the raw feeling of pressure, but it isn't smooth either. Any of you cats ever get that feeling? I would be about 90% sure it means my lips are saying "STOP" but who knows, maybe some one thinks it's safe to play on? Besides, my lesson isn't until 5 tomorrow. I could probably polish the rest with fingers and some time early tomorrow morning.

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Listen to your body. It will tell you when to STOP. Don't strain your lips - they are the only ones you have.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    not sure if it's the same but I never got braces because I didn't want to effect my trumpet playing. I use to have a rawness occur if I had alot "shakes" or lip slur across partials .. because I would move my jaw .. hence the teeth would rub against my bottom lip. That was years ago... I haven't noticed that happening now since I changed my mouthpiece .. my chops set up different with it. I am NOT telling you to change mouthpieces... I did fine with my Bach through college..just giving you some info.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that we have all felt this way. I always comes back to the same thing:
    If we do what we should, then we don't have to when we have to.

Everything that we learn before we absolutely need it, helps to prepare us for times when we have no time or choice.

5. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    thanks guys. I ended up just calling it a night. Yeah dave, I did the same thing here, I didn't wanna mess up my playing with braces. I had my dentist smooth off the edge a couple months back and I think it might have actually helped.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You did well listening to your body. I am a 100% sure it was time for you to call it a night. Let us know how you are doing today, OK?

7. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    Listening to your body is a good thing to do, I guess - not only as a trumpet player.

To me it is essential to have enough breaks while practicing.
    I try to keep play and rest at 1:1 - or even more in favor of breaks.

Too, every half bar rest inside a tune can bring relaxation of the muscles in charge and keep blood circulation going.

I can wreck my chops within 20 minutes due to the lack of proper breaks.
    I can practice all day as long as I concentrate on having enough breaks.

Most recent concepts of teaching trumpet emphasise taking a long bath (20 minutes). One is very relaxed after that and it may give you an indication of what is necessary.

:play:

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I did something similar and learned the hard way you can't cram a weeks worth of practice in one day. The next day was brutally bad (throw the horn in the trashcan bad!:bash:). Hope all went well though. I now try to live by this saying (among others), "By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard"!

9. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    My lips feel significantly refreshed this morning only the feeling of a very slight, slight wear. Bixel, I totally hear you on that, I actually practice right by my laptop so I will get myself distracted for a few minutes after after I shed a portion of the tune. I'll watch a music video, run a few scales on fingers, get on here or facebook around for a few minutes :) See, I don't think it was really cramming though, I practice scales, intervals and tunes on a daily basis so my fingers really lay into the lines without much trouble. Now, let's see if I can get round midnight memorized in two hours hahaha (mayyyybe it's cramming just a little bit). Ill go hit the tub with my real book and the iHome. my regular teacher got a hold of me last night so now we've got a lesson at 12:30. I like having all the commotion though, it keeps me alert and alive! Gotta start challenging myself like this on a daily basis.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is great feedback! All your posts on this thread illustrates really well how we can "listen" to our body's feedback when it tells us we are toned; and BEFORE we start feeling pain, which means there is strain (when actual damage to muscle begins to happen).