A new mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Heavens2kadonka, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I have been playing on a Laskey 68MD and a Bach 5B for the past year and a half (I favor the 5B), and have decided I want a Kanstul mouthpiece, mainly after hearing my instructor speaking so highly of them (He was a Laskey artist when he played for the Jack Daniel's band). He says they are the best feeling and sounding mouthpieces he's ever played on, and loves his two so much he recently got them 32K gold plated (BTW, theres a place in Nashville that 32k gold plates mouthpieces for the same price as the goldchops.com people ask...)!

What Kanstul mouthpiece should I be looking for? I am wanting a B cup, a very VERY thick rim (I hate the feeling of the thin ones so very much...), with a 17mm diameter....

BTW, this is my first post on this forum! YAY!!

Van

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Wow, 17 mm is about a Bach eqiv of 1 to 1.5. An awfully big jump from a 5B (but close to the 68 )

Kanstul has sooooo many combination available. With the modular mouthpieces you can pick a cup and a backbore. The combinations are almost endless. Each cup sells for $60 retail and each backbore is also $60.

The P Series has a wide rim. A fun thing to do is go to the Kanstul Mouthpiece comparator and compare the mouthpieces.

http://www.kanstul.net/pages/mpcredirect.html

Cups come in the B, GIR, P, S and W series
    Backbores, B, GIR, P, R and S series

Knowing that 17 mm is near a Bach 1.5, go play with the mouthpiece comparator. Certainly you can find something that fits your fancy. That is the great thing about the Kanstul series.

You might also consider the Gustat one piece mouthpieces ($75 retail):

[​IMG]

Again, look at the comparator for relative sizing.

Jim

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I would also recommend using the modular mouthpieces, i.e. Warburton, Parke, or Kanstul, because it allows you to vary one specific variable it also always you the flexibility of changing something in the future ( such as a backbore).

When looking for a new mouthpiece I think it is very important to zero in on exactly what you want to change, and why, then approach it from a very controlled stand point by limiting change to one variable at a time.

Also, don’t be afraid to call a mouthpiece maker and talk with them about what you are looking for, there are plenty of custom makers that will go out of their way help you.

As for Kanstul being the best sounding and feeling, I don’t know about that. I thought everything they put out was a copy of someone else’s work. I didn’t know they had their own designs. but something you might want to think about is that you can get your 5b threaded and then start trying out rims that fit it, I personal like Laskey’s rims on Bach underparts.

Hope that helps,

jason

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I think Jason is "right on" with his comment on modulars. I did this with Warburton bits. I'd buy one through Ebay, try it, find out what it did and then if I liked it, keep it. If I didn't like it I'd just resell it. You can work with the shank to discover if a different end-gap suits you or a different backbore (intonation issues) and then play with the cups/rims to sort out that part. When you're all "hooked up" then you can use the information through someone like one of the custom makers OR just stick with what you've settled on and sell the rest of the "bits and pieces".

If you think you will ever go with a custom m/p then I highly recommend you keep notes on your observations with each mouthpiece setup that you try and for each horn you might try it on. It'll sure help the guys who make "customs" to nail YOUR ideal design.

5. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Well, I have played around with mouthpieces for about two years now. I went from a 5C to a 7C (Weird, I know), to a 3C, to a 5C, to a Merian C, to a Laskey 68MD, to where I am now in a bind with two mouthpieces I love, but not completely won over by one or the other.

I have always had trouble with bach C cups, and never could get anything close to a pleasing sound with megatones. I have really fallen in love with a Bach B-cup (Dunno how to compare cup sizes..), and how it really makes a fatter sound for me.

I also have never found a decent feeling rim, finding the Bachs the only real mouthpieces that "creamed my taters," so to speak, and even they never felt that great... Until my senior year trumpet teacher sold me his old Laskey 68MD for 20 bucks. The laskey rim in most likely the best feel I've ever experienced.

I decided upon the width of the mouthpiece after playing on an antique bach 11/4C. Now with this one, I can't really tell a difference in playing, but I just liked the feel of not having to "Cram the sound," and I dunno if that really makes sense to anyone but me... :D

You know, in the middle of writting this, I think I have decided I will see if Laskey can custom make me a mouthpiece, and find out what the price would be..

I had it in mind that I wanted a Kanstul, because of how my teacher really praised them (He isnt a praising man..). Of course, Laskeys are real expensive, and Kanstuls sound pretty affordable, even if their mouthpieces are just "imitation." Dunno, guess I'll start with the e-mail compositioning...

Van

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    remember that not all bach C cups are the same, just as the b cups come with differnt rims and tighter backbores..

sounds like you need to send you two mouthpeices to bob reeves and get one back :lol:

7. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Problem with that is, the 68MD's rim has some dings from the previous owner (And a pretty nasty one from me, another reason why I went to the 5B).

I'll see if I can get a "B" cup (Backbore, I have never been clear on that word, apologies for maybe not being one who understands the obvious.), a 17 mm diameter, and a Laskey rim, in raw brass (The 36k gold plating here would be much cheaper). To tell you all the truth, I may just get the Laskey rim, and have Kanstul build around it....

Dammit, I STILL need to email Mr. Laskey... That'll have to be a tomorrow project.... Speaking of tomorrow, I need to be getting some shut eye. I gotta be up in about six and a half hours..... *shudder*

Van

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Check out:
    http://www.ibowtie.com/mpcbackbore.html

[​IMG]

Of course, after your rest period :wink:

Jim

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    i think Kanstul has mouthpieces that are mt vernon copies , which is supposed to be what Laskey copied his rims after.

this might be as simple as calling kanstul and saying you want a mt vernon 1 1/2 c rim on a 5b underpart and waiting by the mail box.

i would still go the modular route, that way you can modify rims and back bores later.

some reading for you(after you finish what MandC gave you :wink: )

http://www.warburton-usa.com/faq.htm#What does the backbore do?

http://parke.net/tpt_mpc_compatibility.htm

http://kanstul.net/mpcJN/Compare/CompareIE.HTM

10. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Gosh, when you really start looking, mouthpieces can be as big a pain as trumpets!

I produce a better sound with the deep cups, and I absolutely despise V-shapes. I might have to look into an open backbore (Yay, I now know something new!!!) :D

Van