A New Quarter Tone C Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Mar 7, 2014.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I was asked to make a quarter tone C trumpet. What I decided to do was use a rotary valve for the 4th, quarter tone, and place it immediately forward of the 3rd valve. Other people have done this by inserting a rotor in the main slide, but I felt that this makes the trumpet front heavy. Before clean up and tidying up the lever assembly, here it is:
    [​IMG]

I am very happy with the way it plays, but the quarter tones drive my ear nuts.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Looking forward to hearing your revised version of Blue Rondo à la Turk, Ivan!

3. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Nicely executed Ivan. Far slicker and more accurate than trying to do this with tuning slides. I want one, but can't justify it for one or two Arabic flavoured riffs. :-(

4. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok... no disrespect meant to anybody but what the heck would you do with a quater tone C trumpet??? To me the use of a quarter tone Bb is minimal at best in jazz stuff but a C? What am I missing?

This DID however get me to thinking how relatively easy it should be to add a valve similar to this but set it up to drop the horn a fourth like a pic... now THAT could be useful on a Bb or C. :)

5. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Oh... and Ivan... Great job as always!

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have a couple of songs with a Middle Eastern theme. The underlying riff I want to use sounds right played on an Arabic scale which needs the quarter tones. I can almost, kind of get the effect by choosing a key where both first and third slides can be brought into play, but it's a pain in the butt and limited. C or Bb matters less. In fact a C horn would let me write one chart for the band.

...and it'd be far easier than trying to master a soprano trom.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I understand that there is some contemporary solo literature requiring quarter tones. The beauty of this system is that virtually every Bb and most Cs can be retrofitted with a 4th valve to do whatever is wanted. If a piston valve is used, then the inlet and outlet are staggered so the tuning slide spacing needs to be altered.

One project I have wanted to do for some time is to make an ascending valve on a Bb trumpet to take it up to C. This would be a C trumpet with a whole tone valve defaulting to in; actuating the rotor would raise the horn a whole step. This avoids all long fingerings and is the system which was used by Roger Voisin in Boston for a long time - he had a C trumpet ascending to D designed by Merri Franquin of the Paris Conservatoirein the 19 teens.

8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    "Very interesting." Artie Johnson, Laugh-In

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    There was a very early Selmer paris on ebay recently sn 100+ in C with a 4th valve to Bb, went out of my range.

Regards, Stuart.

10. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.