A 'new' theory on the off-center brass embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by zorrosg, Nov 27, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think there may be some truth to what you say, but there are just so many variables. As long as my facial muscles let me retain beer when I sip it down, all important muscle criteria has been met from my perspective.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I won't go into detail, but if you are 90+ on your targets with this "cross", there are advantages.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The players I have seen that shouldn't play to the side usually have pretty obvious issues. Their tone isn't full in the lower register and their playing has alot of dead spots. They usually are playing in the red to the side as well ... the ones who shouldn't.
    The ones who should tear it up all over the paper.

4. applianceguy

applianceguy Pianissimo User

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    I too am re-learning how to play, and I was playing with the Mpc.centered at first, but after playing with the group at Church, I remembered why I should not do that anymore. You see when I was starting High School, in marching band, I was trying to be the hot shot, and play louder than anyone else. It was Great!! I blew everyone away, but I tore my lip up pretty badly. Well, when football season ended, and it was Stage band time, I could not get a clean sound, because of all of the scar tissue. As I look in the mirror, I have always had a big lump in the center of my upper lip from that experience.

So I now have to play off to the left, (I am left handed, and read my music on the right), and I have found that the lip is just much smoother, and supple on the side, and I get a cleaner sound. If I play centered, all of that scar tissue is just FLAPPIN' in the wind!!! lol Makes for a very statticy buzzing sound, and it is not a clean tone.

New off centered embouchure works well, and playing with mostly upper lip helps, as there is more muscle in the Mpc. Slowly building up more endurance, and trying to play longer practice sets each day, making sure to warm up, and cool down.

Great Thread!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  5. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    A guy that I knew in high school played with a cockeyed off center embouchere. One side was rolled in and the other rolled out, the horn tilted slightly upward to the right. He was one of the best best players I have ever known. He had power up the wazoo, range to an F or G over high C. He never got tired and was really accurate. Thankfully his private teacher (also mine)never tried to change anything about his set up. Sadly he gave it up as soon as he graduated, he was also a really fine athlete and he focused on that in college.
    Mother Nature dictates where the mouthpiece sits. It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature!

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    In my sessions with Jeanne Pocius Dorismund, she moved me to the right of center. It was immediately obvious that I produced a better sound from that spot. We did change some other things as well, mostly moving the work the to bottom lip, relaxing my grip on the horn, and incorporating double pedals into my routine. There is more too, but I won't go into it now. The upshot is a more relaxed approach, producing a more resonant sound and greater range with less effort.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It also makes it so much easier to play two trumpets at the same time this way.

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    This rings true for me. I have very bad eyes and need the music stand closer to me than the bell of the trumpet allows, until I have the music at least part of the way memorized, or unless it is large print. I can train my eyes a bit and when I was playing very regularly, in high school and uni, my eyes were better at reading small music. But between my eyes having radically different eyesight from each other, and the good eye still being pretty bad, it is a struggle to get things lined up so I can see the music and play while looking straight ahead.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    One eye being better than the other is really quite common. I can only suggest two possible improvements: (1) set music stand on side with better eye, and (2) take music to copy center and have it enlarged to 11 x 17 inches. My Mother had a lot of church organ music copied this way by reproduction camera as cost her about $20.00 per song. Here in the U.S. we've now several copy centers such as Staples and United Parcel Service that will digitally do 10 pages for as little as $3.00 plus sales tax of 7% here in North Carolina. Looks like elementary beginning music when finished. A bit of a trick is to wear shooter's calichrome yellow-orange eye glasses that add contrast to your vision. You can get these to wear over normal eye glasses. Too, upgrade the lighting on your music stand, not relying on room lighting.

10. Shawn

Shawn New Friend

Jul 2, 2012
    The far north
    What about the position of the mouthpiece up or down on the lips. I was observing if that made a difference, and if I should change that.