A note to all "Comeback"players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bandman, Oct 23, 2005.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I played a gig last night -- it was the best I think I have ever played in my entire life. I'm so thrilled right now I can't sleep.

Since February of last year I have had a heart attack, a quadruple bypass, 4 more emergency heart surgeries, and stage two cancer in my right kidney and then my kidney, gallbladder and appendix removed.

There have been times when I wanted to sell all my horns because I just didn't want to play anymore. It hurts like H_ _ _ when I play my horns right now because I have adhesions from my last surgery, but I don't care! I sounded pretty darn good!

I have been working on my horns so hard, and finally I'm back, and better than ever. My layoff was short compared to many, but I had many other obstacles to overcome. If you are trying to make a comeback, when you get frustrated, take the rest of the day off and hit it double hard the next day. Eventually it will happen and you will see the result of your hard work! My friends, if I can do it, anyone can do it.

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Dear lord!

Very inspirational indeed! I'll keep you in mind the next time my practicing doesn't go the way I'd like it to.

Congrats on your personal victories over many serious ailments, I think that says more about you than anything else.

I'll keep at it!

3. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Bandman,

You are truly an inspiration to us all. Thank you for posting your trials and tribulations.

Also, congratulations on your outstanding performance. Wish I was there.

Take care of yourself, and thanks again.

Gary

4. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    Wow! All of that and you're still kickin'! Stubbornness like that is no doubt an asset for any musician. Congrads on your performance, and on the better ones to come.

5. tinnmann

tinnmann New Friend

Mar 10, 2004
    NE Ohio
    Makes what I when through recently seem like a walk in the park! Keep it goin'!!

6. alextrumpet

alextrumpet New Friend

Feb 7, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I did my first "comeback" gig 25 Feb and it went beyond my expectations! I hadn't been onstage in 8 years. I had only been playing and practicing regularly for three weeks. But I played through two long, grueling sets from 930p-1a and still had high A and C# left! I learned 9 horn lines and did the gig as the solo horn. We are a Parliament/P-Funk tribute band and there are some lines that, for playing three weeks, were a bit nasty, like "Children of Production" which is chock-full of nice tasty lines. In addition, I was soloing on about evbery other song and pulling my flugelhorn out on three tunes. But, the flugel sucked the life from my soul and I soon left it on the stand. I also went with a non-normal mouthpiece on this gig and for the entire week before the gig. I switched to my Marcinkiewiecz E-1.7 R. Roman which I have never really used since getting it in 1998. I usually stay on Marcinkiewicz's 1/5b-V cup. But found I really needed to get lead chops in three weeks time. I returned to my normal piece already. Comback feels good.

7. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Congrats on the come back -- it feels so great to share our stories!

8. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Bandman -
    YOU ARE THE MAN!
    I sincerely hope that you play for a million more years. Thanks for helping me re-charge my batteries after a long week. Congrats on a great performance, and many more to come!
    Matt

9. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Bandman,

Congratulations! I hope you keep in touch with your old teacher because he would be very proud of you! If you have lost his address, its in the ITG member's book. I just got mine today. PM me if you need it.
    Best wishes,

Roy Griffin

10. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Band man your a monster!
    You go boy! :cool: