A parent looking to buy HS student new trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sa41519, Oct 12, 2004.

1. sa41519

sa41519 New Friend

Oct 12, 2004
    I've been reading some of the chat boards, and am curious. All band directors say "buy a Bach strad" trumpet. What about a Shilke? I live close to the manufacturer and am wondering how these horns hold up and if they ar worth the extra money. Any suggestions?

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I say that if you have the ability to pick up a Schilke and don't mind paying the extra money, yeah, get the Schilke over the Bach. A B1 or B5 would be a good place to start.

However, don't discount other good horns. As long as you might be willing to spend a little extra, you might also want to look at Kanstuls Signatures, Yamaha Xenos and Calicchios.

A Bach Strad can be a fine horn, but in my opinion, they are like the Chevy truck or Timex of trumpets. They take a licking and keep on ticking, but they aren't anything fancy. Just solid, and dependable.

Some of the other horns though, the ones in the price range just above the Bach Strad, that's where you start getting into the horns that are a little more lively and agile.

3. jazzartizt1742

jazzartizt1742 New Friend

Dec 14, 2003
    Union Grove, Wisconsin
    Definately get a Schilke if you can. Bach's a good and all but there's better out there, if your son or daughter is planning on going through college with music then go for a Schilke, or Kanstul are my two favorite candidates!!

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I agree that the Schilke is a step up from the Bach. I disagree that the Bach is a "Timex" like horn. Band directors often recommend the Strads because they are a sure thing. You know you are going to get a good horn. And the pricing on Strads in extraordinarily competitive. Most music stores make very little on them. Some almost hate to carry them because of this fact.

But between $1500 and $2000 there are a lot of horns, as Patrick suggested, available that are a bit more horn. Kanstul, Schilke, even the Calicchio. The ZeuS Olympus is in that range. A Conn V1 with a reverse leadpipe. Lots of choices. Getzen, and Holton have horns too.

The nice thing about the three Patrick mentioned, Kanstul, Schilke and Calicchio is that you can buy them in various configurations. You can find one to fit almost any need or style.

I suggest contacting a store with your kid and talking about what kind of playing will be done in the future and right now. Is it mostly jazz, lead jazz, concert playing, drum corps, ska, etc. You can then get some good advice on which way to go. And stepping up from a Strad you are likely to get a horn with more of what you are looking for, sizzle, darkness, brightness, upper range, etc.

Jim

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    you also might want to try trying some horns out, a lot of pros use bach, for a reason, they work for a lot of people, try the horns out before you buy, it cant hurt.

6. sa41519

sa41519 New Friend

Oct 12, 2004
    My son is going to be only 15 years old. Just started taking private lessons last year, cause I didn't want to invest a lot of money for something he may just quit. Since the lessons began he is much more interested. Trying out for IMEA All State band, Amateur Symphnic Band and he likes to play in the jazz band at school. (Along with marching, concert and pep bands) I heard from one person that all the band directors only want Bac. If he shows up with a Shilke, are they going to let him play? Sorry, I don't know al ot about band/music. That's why I'm asking your opinions. Second, where does one go near Chicago to try out all of these different instruments? Most of what I've seen and read has been on line. P.S. Private teacher said Bach too.

7. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, first, if you can find me a band director who would take a Strad, but not a Schilke, I'll stand on my head and say that the Aggie Band isn't the greatest in the world.

Second, perhaps the best place would be Woodwind and Brasswind in South Bend, Illinois. They have a HUGE selection of horns, including darn near every brand listed above. They have showrooms and experts, and usually are pretty decent on prices (though right now a certain someone has them smoked on Kanstuls :wink:).

I will say one thing for going with the Strad-it's general purpose. Right now, it sounds like your son is wanting to play everything under the sun, and believe me, that's a good thing. But it's also important to know what his, um, "musical priorities" are. Does he place more emphasis on symphonic/concert stuff, or upon the jazz/pop type playing? The Strad could easily do this, albeit there are horns that could do one or the other better. It's really hard to go wrong with a Strad. But don't pick one or the other based upon location. Just because Schilke is right next door, don't think that's the best thing. The best horn will only be found by going to a store like Woodwind and Brasswind and playing a lot of horns. Good luck with your search and don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions!

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I personally play on a Zeus, it is cheap and a pretty good horn. Just my two cents. Check 'em out.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Well, ok, maybe the Seiko of trumpets. ;) The point that I was trying to make is that pretty much any Strad you buy is going to be a dependable workhorse of a trumpet that sounds good, even if it isn't necessarily the easiest horn to play.

The three horns that I mentioned were just three that came off of the top of my head at the time and by no means the end of the list of trumpets to look into. However, those are the ones that I would look into if I wanted a new horn, specifically the Schilke and the Calicchio.

Definitely don't stop looking at Bachs, but also, don't let those be the only horns you look at.

10. sa41519

sa41519 New Friend

Oct 12, 2004
    Just to clarify...The band teacher and private teacher did not say"ONLY "a bach. It's just the first words out of their mouths, like they are the be all end all. And from what I read, it sounded like the Shilke may be a better trumpet. Like I said, I haven't a clue, but I will definitely
    check into finding the address of the Woodwind Brasswind in South Bend so that we can play/check them out. Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it. !! [/i]