A parent looking to buy HS student new trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sa41519, Oct 12, 2004.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yes, Schilkes are pricey. But, they also hold their value better than virtually any other horn out there.

2. cornetmike

cornetmike New Friend

Nov 12, 2004
    Hemet, California
    I know I'm waaaay late posting on this topic, but I've heard on other forums about quality control problems with Bach Strads. And I've heard about this too often without letting it pass without asking about it. "Only one in five is truly great," "There was a big drop of solder in one of the valve slides," "I played four of the same model and they were all somehow different," "I had to try four or five before I found one I liked," etc. :shock: And nearly everyone agrees that pre-Selmer Strads are superior. Any comments???

warm regards, cornetmike

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I do think Bach QC suffered for awhile. I also think that was overblown a bit. The pre-Selmer strads are the NY/Mt. Vernons -- different animals altogether.

It seems recently the QC at Bach is much better. I have heard less and less about the poor quality as of late. Of course The Kanstul 1503/1504 Signature trumpets would give you the same specs as a Strad with Kanstul quality :wink:

Jim

4. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    I tried a Bach Strad 37 at a local music store this last Monday. It played well, slotted well and was built very good.

My main gripe was the resistance. It almost felt like playing my Bundy!
    The one thing that shocked me (after being used to my Constellation) was how small the horn was. Short valves, short and compact wrap with a much lighter weight. It felt like I was playing an (expensive) toy! :shock:

Anyway, try the new Strads. You might like them.................

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    By all means, try the Bach 180 ML37 horns. But make certain you try more than one! There are inconsistencies found in any manufacturer's product but perhaps more inconsistencies are reported in Strads than any other. However... if you find "the right one", you can certainly rest assured that your son won't be "going up the "Down" stairs" when compared with the other students.... the majority of them will be playing Strads also.

If you get the chance though... have him try more than just the one brand; most of the different brands have different playing characteristics and your son might just hit on a "magic" horn for him. Try to have a knowledgeable person along to listen and offer objective comments about the sound, intonation, etc.

Schilke is a fantastic horn with exceptional quality; it compares favorably with the custom horns that sell for prices waaaay above a Schilke's price. They aren't necessarily a "dent magnet" (unless perhaps you have the berylium bell option or the tuning bell model.... and why you'd do that in a school setting I don't know). But if you are at all concerned about his intentions to 'stick with' trumpet then perhaps a good, solid horn for a reasonable price and a ready market for it in "used" condition is a better buy. Yamaha 4XXX or 6XXX series would fit that set of arguments quite well. Also consider the 7XX Kanstul horns.

The more you (he) tests, the more certain you can be that he'll find the right one FOR HIM. (and, since you are probably the one "paying the freight", for YOU).

6. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    The main problem there I can guarantee is the leadpipe. They're horrible. Awful. Try a Strad with a Blackburn leadpipe and rounded tune slide.

I really want to try a Strad 72.

Van

7. pots13

pots13 New Friend

Dec 5, 2004
    As a high school student I actually like playing my Jupiter XO. Now, most jupiter's have gotten a pretty bad rap, but I really like the trumpet, and it's actually a really good trumpet and the best that I've played on (including some Yamahas, etc). Not sure if you can find one, but if you get the chance you should check one out, they're worth a shot.

8. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Just be sure you don't get a lightweight horn. God, those things really damage the ears in concert halls....

Van

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    As a Comeback Trumpeter, and having forgetten everything about instrument selection, I played on my old steam driven student trumpet for a while, manipulated the "petticoat government" and finally purchased a Getzen Eterna 700SP. Features - silver plated - so it's easy to clean - robust, entry level professional instrument - according to my tutor who played one professionally, and economical - "best instrument for the money", tutor again, and fantastic valves for the price, US made. I have since passed this to my neice and stepped up to a Getzen 900 Eterna (but second hand). Opinion - I didn't go wrong - get your son to try as many as he can, use the same piece of music, same mouthpiece, and take a knowledgeable friend or tutor to assess the audience side of the sound. (He'll fall in love with one and it will be, for him, the best trumpet in the world - and none of our opinions will be worth a brass razzoo to him - just give him the opportunity to try 'em all if you can).

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Anything would feel small and light after a connstellation! Those things are big dogs! (nice players too!)