A parent looking to buy HS student new trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sa41519, Oct 12, 2004.

1. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    SCHILKE, SCHILKE, SCHILKE.
    I bought a B5 about six months ago. I have been playing trumpet for 35 years and it plays considerably better than any Bach I have ever played. If the choice was a Schilke or a bach, it would be a 'lay down mizarre' for mine.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This thread is 3 years old.
    I find the brand blindness here DISGUSTING. There are so many great horns out there that this prejudice "buy a Strad"/"buy a Schilke" makes no sense!
    If buying a Strad off the shelf was a safe bet, I would still not rule out other brands, but it is a fact that Bach has NEVER produced a Strad that you could buy blind.

For a high school student where the likelyhood is great that they will stick with the trumpet I recommend RESEARCH and about 6 months of playing everything that you can get your hands on - good and bad. There is no decision so satisfying as one that does not involve COMPRIMISE.
    You need to try (I will not mention any "exotic" brands here but if you get the chance play them): Getzen, Yamaha, Jupiter, Kanstul, Bach, Holton, Schilke just to name a few. A second hand instrument does not have to be worse, make sure it is checked by a good technician!

Get your child into the mode of intelligent decision making - not blind stupidity! It will be a lesson for life!

3. loudtrumpetguy

loudtrumpetguy New Friend

Feb 28, 2007
    England
    iv got to say i dont understand the obsesion with bachs, all the ones iv tried havnt been that great, they are good there is no doubt about that but there is so much variaty in trumpets that you shouldnt just go buy one.

Personaly i did most my student time on a B&S Challenger 2, which people generaly point to as almost a bach copy, however i have played both a few times and they are pretty different.

Maybe teachers like Bach coz its abit like a Mc Donalds coz u always know your gunna get the same thing and they probably worry about people turning up with some chinese made nightmare off ebay.

Well thats wat i think anyway.....

btw i hear that Bachs were much better in the 1960's and 1970's never played one thou

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I'd take a beat up Getzen over a brand new Bach any day.

5. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    What I find interesting, in addition t Robin's point, with which I agree, is the failure to mention Blessing. I have just recently tried a couple of Student model Blessings that played great, with an even scale and rock solid construction. I haven't tried the pro horns, but I imagine that they would be a welcome and reasonably priced addition to the list of horns mentioned above.

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi,

You don't see many Schilkes for resale, so I assume the present owners are happy with them. Maybe they buy other brands, but don't use their Schilkes for trade. They appear to keep their Schilkes or hand them down to relatives.

I think that in itself is a good thing. By all means try other brands, but don't overlook Schilke.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

7. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    There is nothing inherently wrong with any of the top brands. I encourage my private students to try out as many horns and brands as possible. Usually they try out about five of the top brands (not counting custom horns such as Monette, Lawler etc.) and about 15 different horns with various bell sizes and materials. We work them all over a couple of hours and have no regard for the actual brand but pay attention to the sound, the blow, the intonation and other playing characteristics.

After a while the student cannot keep track of which one is which brand but can keep track of which ones play the best for them.

We work it down to about five different horns and come back the next day (chops are too tired after a couple of hours to judge an individual horn reliably) to wean those down to a top choice.

To be honest, most end up with some type of Bach Stradivarius due to the sound and other playing characteristics.

I have not been a Schilke fan personally but know many fine players who use them quite successfully so I would not count them out. Put them in the mix.

Let the private teacher help in the selection process.

Any band director worht their salt is not going to complain about your son playing a top quality instrument.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

8. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    there are also great horns from olds, king, and other vintage lines. theres a great section here: Guide to new trumpets
    He basically gives almost all options possible, and dont miss the ones he lists but never describes in paragraph form.

9. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    oh, missed that date on that one. Hes probably in college by now.

10. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    and now there are even those new andreas eastman, though i dont think theyre at wwbw yet.