A personal question: What do you do when...?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Feb 9, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    After re-reading the above threads I see that everyone tried to offer their best advice. But I was hoping each respondent would reveal what mouthpiece and trumpet they use (plural if it applies) for contrasting gigs. rowuk gave me some of what I was looking for. I would still like to hear what equipment you use, and for what playing (that's why my heading says PERSONAL). How can I include you in the book I'm writing if you don't give up the goods.....just kidding.

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I think I'm with Rowuk on this one, and iroically we play almost the same mouthpieces. Anyway, I use a Monette B-12 for "classical" and most all around type stuff, a B4LD for big band section or (some) musicals, and a BL for lead or something that need a little more zing. On the flugel I have a Laskey 70F.

I've never had any trouble switching rim sizes, so that's what I do. I don't need any specific exercises to change, but I guess doing in practice would be a good way to get used to it. I always warm up and do nearly all of my practicing on the B12 and I usually don't play the others until they're needed. Maybe that's a little odd, but it hasn't ever given my any problems.

As for as the mental concept goes, all the mouthpieces in the world won't really change your sound much unless you know how you want to sound. In my case, my concept for the different sounds I want drives my sound, but the different mouthpieces I use just make it more efficient for me, physically.

I guess I think of it like this...If I'm playing lead in a show, my mind has that sound, but it is a LOT more work to get that sound on the B12 than the BL. Some people are comfortable playing a middle of the road size and never changing, but I find my orchestral/solo/legit sound isn't good enough and it's still hard to play lead. I'm not saying my way is best for you, but it's what's worked for me (and I think that's what you were asking for).

I think a safe approach would be to try to use your all around mouthpiece for a quintet gig and have something else for situations that need more sizzle and sustained high register playing. What do you normally play on, if you don't mind me asking?

Anyway, I hope that helps. Good Luck!

Almost forgot, I use a Monette B937 and Prana 1 C, unless it's a situation that I don't want to use the Monette (outside or something), then I have a Bach 72* Bb and 229 C.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I use a GR 64m mouthpiece and a Schilke B3L trumpet. I use the same mouthpiece on whatever C trumpet I am playing.
    I use a Yamaha 11f4 mouthpiece with a yamaha 631G flugel
    I use a JK 6B mouthpiece with a Schilke XA1 Cornet.

I am an jazz major in college and I frequently play in combos, big bands etc. I also play in a symphony(1st through 3rd trumpet) . I also sometimes play in a klezmer band.

4. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I don't change the horn or mouthpiece unless playing in a jazz quintet. I do change the music I listen to, though. Since I am doing mostly big band work, I tend to listen more to the old big band tunes. When I play in a town concert band, I tend to listen to transcriptions for concert band, and so on. I use an Eclipse MHY bell with a Northern Brass 66**** for all of my Bb playing. I use an Eclipse red bell flugel for all jazz quintet stuff........I find it easier to blend with a tenor sax with that particular horn. I was once told if I wanted to play dark, I should think dark. Can't remember where I heard that.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I play almost every Bb trumpet gig on my Bach 43 ML Strad and Bach 3C mouthpiece. If I'm faced with a lot of really high stuff on a dance gig, I'll sometimes use a Schilke 13A4a with the throat opened up a little. And if I'm playing cornet, flugel, C, Eb, etc., I'll use a mouthpiece model that's more suited to the horn.

As far as quickly preparing for varied styles and types of gigs, the best thing is to always stay prepared for anything. I just got an emergency call to play a gig tomorrow (the original trumpet player is sick). I'm doing it with a short rehearsal at noon and the gig's at 1:00. I have never seen the music, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to pull it off, because I'm in shape (well, as in shape as I ever am!:D ).

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Crowmadic,
    I switch even in the same piece if need be. I have no routine to get used to the various mouthpieces. I have to say however, I have been playing for over 40 years without any break longer than a couple of days. I practice most with the horns I need next! So even the switch is rehearsed.

Just to clear something up: I cannot get a lead sound to my satisfaction out of my big mouthpieces and I cannot get a satisfactory orchestral sound out of my BL (similar to a Schilke 14A4A). I use the mouthpiece change for "color" not for range or endurance. I would get tired playing lead with my big mouthpiece because of the effort involved in making it sound "bright". Getting that piece to produce the edge needed is way too much work!

For a comeback player, I can only suggest not switching until there is some stability and consistency in your playing. That may take a year or two but so what? It is infinitely more gratifying to be sure that what you want is coming out of the horn, than worrying about nuances before your body is cooperative!

7. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I CAN'T THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH!! I'm playing on a 3C mouthpiece and an old Holton Collegiate trumpet. The combination should be approprate for the playing/practicing I need to do. You know the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words"...well, revealing what-how-and when you use your equipment has provided me with a TON of insight. True the information may be most useful for a professional; in a practical way. But this kind of information is helping me get the "crap" out of my head, and my lips where they need to be. Thanks again.........tom