A Playing Question:

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stvtrn, Mar 17, 2009.

1. stvtrn

stvtrn New Friend

Mar 16, 2009
    So when you're buzzing through the mouthpiece, is it supposed to sound sort of airy? Or am I doing something wrong?

When I attempt buzzing, there's a buzz but with the addition of what sounds like escaping air.

2. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    To me it's easir to play the trumpet than it is to buzz. That's because there is no back pressure. There souldn't be air noise. It should sound like you are imitating a motor boat. Use the hand you are holding the mpc and close your little finger toward your palm. Don't close off the mpc, just add some back pressure. Or cup your free hand over your holding hand to create a chamber. They make adapters to buzz with, but this works. (And its free)

3. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Why spend the time buzzing through your mouthpiece when you could be playing your horn ?

4. stvtrn

stvtrn New Friend

Mar 16, 2009
    Well I'm talking about when you're warming up. I dunno, our assistant band director suggests we warm up on mouthpieces first to get our chops all warmed up and then we proceed to horn playing.

5. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    True, but if you don't get a phrase or something like that, you can go on the mouthpiece and practice buzzing before you play it...
    or you can buzz on your mp if you just feel like making duck sounds...ROFL

6. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.
    I agree most of that, the more buzzing you do the better it will get. One of the reasons you get that airy sound is you do not have a horn to hang onto so there is less pressure on the mouthpiece (this is a good thing).

Work on buzzing low and work your way up occasionally. I try to buzz mostly low notes slur up to higher notes now and then, always changing up and down a little bit. This way the buzzing is never static and forces the muscles in the embouchure to do some work.

I don't do a lot of this (probably not enough), just a few minutes before playing just to get everything loose and ready to play.

Happy Buzzing!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  7. stvtrn

stvtrn New Friend

Mar 16, 2009
    And is there a particular angle we should be holding the mouthpiece in conjunction with our lips?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, haha, but I just want to be sure I've got all the bases covered.

8. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.
    Hey, asking questions is the reason you are in this forum. don't be sorry about that.

Angle and position should be the same as when you are playing your horn. the only thing that should change is pressure on your lips and resistance as there is no horn attached.

you should always play with the least amount of pressure possible and this exercise will help you make good sound with minimal pressure.

Cheers!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Playing the mouthpiece is not the same as playing the horn, but also has its benefits. When the horn is attached, the horn resonates on individual notes and supports further vibration. When you buzz on the mouthpiece, there is no resonant help and that is the advantage. You need to control your chops without help.

My students do about 10 minutes a day, as I also do. It is an easy way to help build and maintain chops when it is a part of a bigger picture. Don't worry about the air. Once you get used to it, the sound clears up unless you beat your face up the day before.

10. stvtrn

stvtrn New Friend

Mar 16, 2009
    Thanks so much everyone!