A Playing Question:

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stvtrn, Mar 17, 2009.

1. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    Don't worry, it happened for me, the more you practice playing and buzzing eventually it will come to you easier with no pressure and a clean buzz .

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    A reason for buzzing is also to help center your pitch when playing. For a little bit of resistance when buzzing the mouthpiece you might try putting your little finger over a little bit of the end of the mouthpiece, thus you create some resistance. Don't cover it completely but just a little bit over the end.

3. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My private teacher back in HS cut the thumb off an oven mitt. He used to buzz in the car along with the radio on the way to gigs. I'm not sure how much back pressure that provided, but it has to provide some. At least that's what I think.

4. TptTune

TptTune New Friend

Mar 13, 2009
    Garland, TX
    I studied with a person who studied with James Stamp. The mouthpiece sound should actually sound pretty raucous when the lips are efficiently buzzing in the air stream. LA players used to call the exercise the "lease breaker" in that their landlord would invite them to leave and pay no penalty (LOL).
    I do the James Stamp basic warm-up (page 5) while at the piano. The piano helps keep proper pitch. It definitely helps as a daily routine

5. The Lip

The Lip New Friend

Mar 15, 2009
    Buzzing on the mouthpiece is a great exercise. I buzz daily using the Thompson Buzzing Book. It helps with pedal tones and extending the register.It also improves tone quality and the air to lip pressure ratio.

The Lip