A pleasant surprise!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Aug 7, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    My wife saw an ad in Craigslist ...volunteers needed to play for a benefit type of thing. The group is called the "Pay It Forward Band" ... they mostly play at nursing homes... but today was for a th VA hospital in Los Angeles. I haven't played a trumpet in front of anyone but my wife in 20 years ... what I walked into was some monster players from the LA area. I can't remember his first name but the sax players name was Kubiyak .. scarey. One of the guitar players produced the music for guitar hero.. lots of great credentials all around me... oh and could they play.. holy crap.... we mostly read off of a lead sheets..sometimes concert pitch sometimes Bb .... what a rush. The Vets loved it .... what a treat. The head of the group said he wants me back so I guess I hide the missed notes well and I had more then the rest of the group combined... like I said what a rush...
    The first song was Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B ... now we hadn't had any rehersals... so right out of the gate I was thrown in it ...
    Anyway.. you guys that have answered my questions and bantered with me on trumpet related issues have really helped... just thought you would get a kick out of it..

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Great Dave, nothing like playing in a group of good players to lift your own playing, although sight reading charts at a gig is not my idea of fun although I have done my share of it.

Regards, Stuart.

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Way to have courage and put yourself out there. This will make you so much stronger as a musician and a person. Have fun with it! :play:

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Dave, I can see that would be quite a rush. When I started my comeback and joined the community symphonic band, they were kind to me and let me play "5th trumpet" (that's my euphemism for sitting on the right end of the row and staring at the notes without playing anything for fear of missing the notes). So, to jump in cold with a group like you describe and sight-read, transpose on the fly, and keep up with pros shows that you are better than you think. At the same time, the recording that you posted recently shows that you are quite good. So this experience should not really have been a surprise.

Well done. Keep it up.

coolerdave likes this.
  5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Nothing makes you sit up and fly right like the fear of embarrasment. I always amaze myself when I play with pros. I admire how they are so kind and willing to teach in a non-condecending way. I always jump at the chance to jump in over my head, and am usually glad I did...usually. Best wishes Dave.

6. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    And, major kudos to you for participating in such a worthy cause. :thumbsup:

Out of all the gigs our band has played, the most satisfying have always been nursing homes, retirement/assisted-living facilities and volunteer/charitable events. No one appreciates your playing more than these folks.

Good for you!! :play:

7. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I've done my share of charity gigs and I will gladly do more in the future. If the other cats in the group are top notch and in it for the right reason , then that is gravy and a good time is had by all. :thumbsup:

glad you had a good experience.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    what do they think of that micro trumpet, Steve?

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    yeah these players were in it just to brighten peoples days and I am sure enjoyed just making music .... one the nicest groups I have ever been around

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro