A pleasant surprise!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Good on you Dave,

It's great to see your with a solid band, it makes a difference. Nothing like boiling oil to sharpen the reflexes !!

When's the next gig?

All the best

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    They play almost every week... they don't always field as strong of a team but usually one or two pros show up ... so we are going to try to set aside 2 weekends a month. The venue is almost always a nursing home .. time well spent.
    thanks for the kind words guys..

3. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    They love it. When I start playing too loud, I can switch to it and play a "little" quieter. ;-)

4. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    That's a great find and great cause. Sounds good all around for all involved.

5. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Good for you, Dave. I almost jumped in myself for one of their gigs, but wasn't clear on if the charts were done, and my kids would have been without me for the day. Seems like it was as good or better than advertised!

ed

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    You are a trooper Dave. You headed out to help out some folks and got a lift yourself. Keep it up. Following the old rule of tennis or any sport -Always play with folks better than you, never the reverse. You rise to the occasion.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Any player or group of musicians that would volunteer to play at hospitals, nursing homes, or retirement homes deserve our very best support and accolades. Where did the community spirit go? Our high school band regularly performed a Christmas Concert at a mental institution, and ensembles of it played mini-concerts in the lower schools and even provided the music for plays performed by the lower schools as well as the high school drama productions.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    same here ... as a kid I played in nursing homes and hospitals .. as did our school band ... Christmas Caroling ... although nowdays we probably have top call it something else to be PC ...