A "Preliminary Warm Up"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Dec 11, 2011.

1. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    The Heimat tone is played on the mouthpiece only. Not on the horn. Whilst I don't know what my pitch is, as I've never really investigated this approach, I do know that if someone hands me my mouthpiece and says "buzz me a note" it will pretty much always be roughly the same pitch. Much like I have a "default" tempo that I will tend to play exercises at if not presented with any other tempo mark.

Get your mouthpiece, buzz a tone that's "in the middle", and make a note of what the pitch is either using a tuner or a piano (better). Repeat the next day, and so on. Eventually you will see a trend.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It's a mouthpiece only thing, best done without any outside interference. Hold it at the bottom of the shank and then play. Match the pitch to the trumpet or piano to determine what your Heimat tone is and expand in both directions from there. Once we know what our Heimat tone is, warm-ups can be real quick with the horn, because our starting note is "natural."

Basically, what BrassEye said.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  3. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Well, I guess I'll just throw that whole Stamp book away :-)

I like this concept, but a comprehensive warmup gives me a great sense of surety for the gig. Having said that, I think that the more natural your setup is, the less time you'll need. Many of us play against the grain, if you will, in a fashion that isn't as natural as it could be. The more natural the setup, the easier and quicker a warm up could be. Thanks for that Heimat concept. I'm going to investigate that further.

ed

4. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    why not start with a high C then? mr Schilkie taught his pupils that, 1st note of the day!

I like the idea of starting in the middle, no point starting too low

my teacher gave me something to put infront of my warm up and it works very well

its a middle C at FF, then slur down to bottom C at PP twice, and work your way down to A, doing every one twice, Ive found this to really help, always scared my flatmates too, 1st note of the day-middle C at FF haha :D

5. trumpetplanet

trumpetplanet New Friend

Dec 8, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    Ah I'm with you now. makes more sense it it's just a mouthpiece thing. I'll give it a go.

6. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    I found that If I just play low notes in my warm up my higher notes are much harder in the actual practice.

Ive started playing the warm up from the vizutti 1 methord book, with some MP buzzing, then some low sticcato notes, then some nice long low notes, then going to the same higher and then some basic technical stuff, then have a 20 minute break once I feel warmed up :) then into either one of two daily routines