A Question about Monette MPs

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by MahlerBrass, Jan 12, 2005.

1. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Hello all, after hearing several players play on these horns and mouthpieces, I'm intrigued to go out and try them out myself. I was just wondering, if the Monette mouthpieces are built and weighted specifically for Monette trumpets? The reason I ask is because I would like to try them on Bach C and Bb. I'm currently using a bach 1 1/2C with a 23 throat and 117 backbore, and I really like the sound, but just wanted to try these Monettes out for grins, I've never played a Monette so I figured it's worth a shot. Thanks a lot guys!!

2. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    Dave Monette says that his heavy mouthpieces are for his heavy horns only, but I, along with many other players (pros and amatuers alike) play Monette mouthpieces on "standard weight" horns. Give the mouthpieces a shot. They really are great.

3. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    You can use the STC-1 weight Monette mps on other horns, and the LT weight lead mps on other horns. The STC-2 and STC-3 weight mps are for the heavier Monette horns.

4. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Another aspect you might want to consider is the throat size.
    Monette matches these to different horns, and they differ greatly.
    If you can measure (or see stamped on the MP) a throat of # 19 or smaller (19, 20, 21...), it would have a better chance in a "conventional horn" than the bigger throats played on by many Monette folks.
    Try them!
    They're wonderful mouthpieces!

5. Yakeko

Yakeko New Friend

Jan 9, 2004
    Finland
    STC-1 and LT mouthpieces are designed for standard weight trumpets but with heavier trumpets like taylors you can use stc-2.. probably stc-3 too. So stc-2 and stc-3 are for heavier trumpets not for monettes only. I'm using B2 STC-1 Prana with L-bore Bach strad and it works great. Tonguing problems are getting better when you get used to these mouthpieces. Make sure you try lot of different sizes! And remember that B-series only for Bb trumpets, C-series for C-trumpets etc. :-)