A question or two on salt baths...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Jun 29, 2012.

1. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    OK I've done this on mouthpieces in the past but not on trumpets. Basically I have a few questions.

1) I was told to put in a tablespoon of bi-carb soda and two table-spoons for salt for a reasonably large tub for trumpets. This seems like a lot... is it too much?

2) What procedure should I follow when doing it? Do I need to take the trumpet apart? When I dry it and let it drain, how and for how long?

Basically I need an overview of what to do :shock:

Thanks guys!

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not sure what action the salts would add either; however, if you place it on aluminum foil, the tarnish will melt away. And I would take it apart so the slide inserts can get the benefit of the bath. If not, that would kinda be like taking a bath without soaping down the naughty bits... wouldn't it now?

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    With aluminum foil, warm water, and about 1/2 cup or even more of a sodium ion providing compound - salt, baking soda, washing soda (TSP?). The free sodium in the solution provides the conductor for the electro-chemical reaction which moves the sulfur from the silver to the aluminum. The trumpet and the aluminum foil need to be in contact with one another.

BigDub likes this.
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Salt (sodium) only helps if the trumpet is silver plated. Even more important is rinsing the horn until there is no trace of salt left.

6. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Alright thanks for the help guys!