A question regarding take time off the horn for MILITARY. Insight please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mattonstad, Oct 17, 2012.

1. mattonstad

mattonstad New Friend

Mar 6, 2012
    Oshkosh, WI
    Hello all!
    So, i've recently decided that I want to play for a military band, specifically the National Guard band out of Madison, WI. I passed my audition, but I am concerned about basic training, and not being able to play for 10 weeks straight. A couple buddies of mine have already gone through BCT, and not even a mouthpiece is allowed. Coming back after the 10 weeks, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with coming back after such a long time away from the horn, and if you could give me some pointers. Everything is greatly appreciated! Saying that I have grad school auditions coming up in a year and about four months worries me a bit as well. Please, ease me of my concerns! :)

Thank you!
    MO

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    10 weeks isn't as long as you think. Just take it slow and you'll be back up to snuff in no time.

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hey Pal I took 20 years off and I'm now playing better than ever, it only took me about two or three weeks to get back to some sort of form so perhaps 10 weeks isn't as long as you think. Perhaps you could keep a buzz up even without a mouthpiece just for your own reasurance.

4. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Try practicing your breathing techniques, buzzing without a mouthpiece; and pencil exercises to help keep your chops in shape. Good luck.

5. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I think that you will be fine.

May take a bit to dust the cobwebs off after 10 weeks but I'm sure you'll be back to your old self in short order with some practice. As mentioned, many here have returned to playing after years off.

and thank you for your service!

6. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Don't sweat it--I took 25 years off and was able to pick up from where I left off (though it took a few months!).

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I heard that the day after basic, they make you re-audition, and if you don't make it, they stick a gun in your hand and transfer you to a regular infantry unit.

Just kidding...:D

8. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    10 weeks is no big deal. You can probably benefit from the break off the horn and appreciate it even that much more when you get back to your regular playing routine. One thing to t ake into consideration is that when you join any service, are subject to their needs no matter what your contract says. Joining as a National Guard Band member still follows military protocol. You are subject to weekend drills and two to four week yearly training in any region of the planet they want to send you. I'm just speaking from personal experience here. Good luck and always keep a positive outlook in all you do. Great intentions come from great minds. Make it happen for you.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    What makes you think that if every other person who joined the military for the last century and went through basic military training without playing their instrument were able to rebound, you will have a problem? Don't sweat it.

10. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    I have to do the same in a months time. But mines 14 weeks you lucky so and so! :p The lot that i met in the army said you just take the 1st month in the music collage easy and build it up again. Good luck!