A question regarding take time off the horn for MILITARY. Insight please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mattonstad, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I did it after a 5+year military hitch, and then again after a 40+ year hiatus, and again and again after health and dental issues. Thus, I'll accept no excuses why you should have a problem.

2. mattonstad

mattonstad New Friend

Mar 6, 2012
    Oshkosh, WI
    Thanks everyone! Hope I make it through basic! :p Any other opinions, please post! :)

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Too, no excuses why you can't make it through basic either! Millions+ have! Step out first with your left foot and then your right one ... repeat ad infinitum.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Just not in front of the sargent, as 10 weeks can suddenly be increased by KP duity.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

my question is what kind of idiotic General thought this up??? "uhm let's see, we are training SOLDIER MUSICIANS, SO LET MAKE SURE THEY DONT PLAY AN INSTRUMENT FOR 10 WEEKS, yes, let's make that a uniform code of conduct for all of our recruits" . uhggggg!

that being said, I took 10 years off -- and was OK with scales and stuff withing a month or so --- ENDURANCE SUCKED FOR THE FIRST 3 months -- then again, I was well into my 40's when I came back --- a young guy like you!!! - should be much easier to get back into trumpet shape!!!!!!

good luck

6. mattonstad

mattonstad New Friend

Mar 6, 2012
    Oshkosh, WI
    Haha, I'll make sure not to do any of that in front of the drill sergeant, other wise I'll be doing a lot more push-ups than I intend!
    Thanks, again everyone! :)

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    KT, I surmise you've not been provided BASIC MILITARY TRAINING. Absolutely, NO FORM OF MUSIC is in the curriculum. All you will learn is the varied forms of deployment with firearms. Too, you will be given physical training ... the first time I ever ran a 5K ... and the first time I crawled 100 yards ... and the first time I jumped into a swimming pool with all my clothes on including shoes. However I never had KP whereas the TI asked our flight if anyone could operate a cash register and dummy me put my hand up and I trotted to the commissary where that is what I did, from 1 PM to 10 PM without supper. At 5 AM the next morning without personal care, we put on our field gear and marched for 3 hours ending up at the chow hall and dragging through the line to get breakfast ... just don't ask me what I ate as I didn't care due to my stomach cramping due to lack of food. The came the obstacle course and the jump from a 100 foot tower in a parachute harness. The jerk at the end of the tether supposely simulating when the parachute opens. Yeah, they say keep your knees flexed ... I did but a few didn't and I never saw them again after they were transported to the hospital. Still, the very next day we jumped from a C-47 with chutes and I did OK, and some didn't ... but I walked wide legged for a few days afterward but was smart enough by then not to complain although I noted others walking the same way. I wonder what ever happened to the recruit who landed in Lake Geneva NY. Never saw him again either. Still, when basic training ended, I didn't get out of the cold weather as I was assigned to Rome AFB for OJT training and then to Westover AFB MA to a Reconnaisance Squadron, but first I had a 15 day furlough before I was to report. Well, with the weather I was smart and cut my furlough short and after 8 hours got to Grand Central Station in NYC, but the connecting train to Springfield was snowed in and not operating, getting a taxi I got to the bus station and fortunately was dropped off at the main gate as the bus went to get fuel. I was still a day early.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Lake Geneva? I think you mean Seneca Lake which starts at Watkins Glen and ends at Geneva, NY ---- no, Ed, I never made it to basic training --- as a nice young man back in the early 80's --- alll of the armed services were more selective for all of the GREAT JOBS (a pilot, a driver of the tanks, and such)--- SEEMS they all had a height requirment to fit in the seats of those vehicles --- me being a mere 5'4" tall nullified my chances at those positions!!!