A question:

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stvtrn, Mar 16, 2009.

1. stvtrn

stvtrn New Friend

Mar 16, 2009
    So I'm borrowing my friends trumpet to learn how to play it. I already play Tuba and a little bit of Baritone.

My question is...

What kind of trumpet is it when you play an open note and it's a B Natural or an F Sharp?

I'm completely dazzled, because i'm so used to B flat instruments.

Any help would be great! :)

2. Darktrumpeter

Darktrumpeter Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2004
    NJ, USA
    Odds are that the horn is actually in B-flat. You may be playing with too tight of an embouchure, the tuning slide pushed all the way in, or a combination of both. Does your trumpet playing friend get the B-natural overtone series when they play that horn?

3. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Question is what is the brand of the trumpet? Most trumpets will not play even close to b natural when open, even with the tuning slide in. Also low brass players tend to play flat when attempting the trumpet. The one Bb trumpet I am aware that is extremely short is the Bach TR300 where the pitch is a slightly flat B (about 1/10 of a semitone) with the slide all the way in.

Another possible explanation (if you are relying on an electronic tuner) is that your trumpet embrochure and tone quality has not matured enough for the tuner to get a good read of the pitch.

Hope this helps

4. stvtrn

stvtrn New Friend

Mar 16, 2009
    Haha, actually the friend I got the trumpet from recently switched to tuba as well, from not playing too skillfully in his band class.

And it's a Conn Director I think? But yeah, I suppose it probably is from my chops not being mature enough yet.

5. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Get someone you know who plays trumpet to help you with your problem. Hands-on is the only way to go

6. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    You are playing a Bb trumpet.

Tuba/Baritone music reads different than trumpet music.

A Bb on the Tuba music is played with open fingering, the same open fingering on a trumpet is written as C on trumpet music.

The fingering pattern is the same for the scales, just the name of the scale changes.

A concert Bb scale - for the Tuba starts on Bb, for the trumpet it starts on C.

7. stvtrn

stvtrn New Friend

Mar 16, 2009
    Well yeah I know that an open on Bb instruments is the same pitch universally, it's just that this particular trumpet I'm playing gets a B Natural. But yeah I guess it's just me, then.

Thanks, everyone!

8. stvtrn

stvtrn New Friend

Mar 16, 2009
    Oh wait but the main tuning slide won't budge. Could that be a problem? It's all the way in.

9. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    yes, if it's not coming out, try to pull on it but not too hard, if it doesn't work, then try taking it back to your friend or you can take it to a shop, it should only take about 5 minutes to take it out.

10. stvtrn

stvtrn New Friend

Mar 16, 2009
    Okay thanks, much appreciated! :)