a quick repair question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fionavar, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Fionavar

Fionavar New Friend

Jan 6, 2007
    Hello,

Well, I was cleaning the trumpet that my high school has let me use for band, but when I was cleaning it something broke. It was attached then when I looked at it again and it was detached from the bell pipe(I think that's what it's called? the part where the pipe is opening into the bell). The small thin piece of metal attaching the lead pipe to the bell pipe broke right where it would be attached(basically right where the metal was melted to attach it to the lead pipe). So my question is, would it be ok to use a bit of glue to reattach it until I can bring it in to be repaired? And how does anyone know around how much it would cost to repair it(just an estimate, please?)?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I wouldn't reattach it with glue (especially superglue - repair techs hate that stuff). I'm guessing a competent repair shop could resolder it for a minimal fee, maybe $15 or so. If your horn is lacquered, the repair may mess up the finish a little. If it's silver plated, it should be a nearly invisible fix.

3. Fionavar

Fionavar New Friend

Jan 6, 2007
    Thank-you so much! I wasn't sure what to do, and how much it would cost. I'm going to try and bring it to a shop tommorow to get resoldered.

4. dizzyizzy

dizzyizzy Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2006
    VA
    Fionavar,

IF the school "lent" it to you...I"d take it back to them BEFORE I did anything and let them know. I can't think of anything you did in giving it a cleaning that "caused" the failure.

Discuss it with the band director....maybe they've got another one they can lend you....maybe they'll spring for the repair....maybe they'll thank you to have it done. whatever. but, check with them. I sort of figure...IF that solder weld has failed, what else is "ready to go"?

and...good playing.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have seen that "brace" break off on different student trumpets. It happens when the horn is not put together or repaired properly, there is tension and the joint fails. Report it to the school before arranging anything!!!

6. Fionavar

Fionavar New Friend

Jan 6, 2007
    ok, I'll talk to the band director at the next practice, thank-you so much for the replies! :)