A quieter way to practice...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kyrk, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Kyrk

Kyrk New Friend

Sep 8, 2010
    Hey I haven't been able to practice my horn for awhile because my parents are getting to the age where they nap a lot and I have neighbors who have the tendency to call the police should they hear a pin drop within a 2-mile radius. I did what my directer said and "played quieter," but I couldn't get to the level where cars with flashing lights weren't in front of my house (my neighbor pretty much has ultra-sonic hearing and HATES musical instruments) I tried using a mute, but it takes me more effort to get a sound out of it and prevents me from playing naturally. Does anyone know of any tool of some sort that lowers my sound dramatically without giving me that resistance a mute gives me so I can practice at ease?

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Yamaha Silent Brass : no noise at all for the neighbors and almost no resistance.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    If I can hear you a block away, you're playing too loud. Do what your band director says and play quietly. Playing soft will help you in more ways than you can imagine.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The Silent Brass is one answer. I wouldn't say it has no resistance, but it's less resistance than most mutes. It helps a lot if the trumpet you're playing is more open. The silent brass is very in tune, so no problems with that.

Or, for even less resistance, but a bit more volume, try a Humes and Berg cup mute.

What I do now when I need low volume is use a Harmon mute (without the stem) and play it very quietly. This way I'm practicing with a mute that I'll use for performance later, rather than a "practice mute" that is ONLY for practice. If it needs to be even quieter than that, I go for the silent brass. Hope this helps.

Turtle

5. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    +1 for everything suggested here. Playing quieter made a huge difference in my sound and control in less than a week. I didn't even realize I was playing too loud until my teacher called me out on it. It took a few days to get it under control, but the difference in sound was huge! The Silent Brass is a good tool, as well. Nice for adding play along music. I can almost get lost in the silent brass and lose track of what's going on around me sometimes.

On the other hand, as long as you are practicing during "normal to most people" hours, let them call the po-po. I don't believe there are any laws against playing a musical instrument. They should consider themselves lucky, you could be shredding guitar through a full stack at full volume.

I do appreciate you having consideration for your neighbors.... Good looking out. Your neighbors SHOULD have some consideration for your art, but that may not be the case. I'd be real surprised, though, if the police cared too much as long as you were practicing during normal hours. Seems to me they probably have bigger fish to fry.

Mark

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have the Yammie silent brass and the mute is really good though a bit heavy. I rarely use the "amp" part of the system, too many wires and cheesy sound. I also use a Bach practice mute. It's very, very light. Sometimes I forget it is in there and am reminded when I try to put the horn on a stand. It is very free blowing for a practice mute. I can play in my office while the family is in the next room and I get no complaints. The Bach is about $100 less than the silent brass. Have a great day.

7. NickD

NickD Forte User

Try using a cup mute with a movable cup and slid it in all the way for an extreme cup mute. Also, try doing most of your practice sotto voce with the horn open. This can do wonders for your chops as long as you can find tome time to balance things with some stronger blowing for a few minutes sometime during the day.

TTFN
    ND

8. Kyrk

Kyrk New Friend

Sep 8, 2010
    Thanks for the quick response guys, I'll try playing as quiet as I can without getting in too much trouble while waiting for my silent brass.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

10. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    It was hot outside one "early" evening about two weeks ago. Without realizing I was practining with my window open. I was trying learn a couple of difficult bars of an etude. Needless to say clams were flying out the bell left, right, and center. Then in the middle of the perhaps the fifth effort, I heard my neighbour slam their own window shut. That is when I realized my window was open. I shut it AND used the brass silent system.

DK