A quieter way to practice...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kyrk, Oct 1, 2010.

1. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    Use a sordine ( or what the English for it is :/ )

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    sardine? :-P

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Sordine = mute

4. Kyrk

Kyrk New Friend

Sep 8, 2010
    My mute(or sordine as you call it) gives me resistance while playing, so I feel uncomfortable while playing.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Cool, now I know some French. :D

6. ottoa57

ottoa57 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2010
    Macomb, Mi
    I too have a slient brass system..BUT a new mute by Best Brass is AWESOME...and easier to use and TAKE with you anywhere,,you should check it before you commit to Silent Brass. Dillon Music has created a " knock off" for much less money...Dillon's has a return policy too... good luck

Dillon Music Practice Mute for Trumpet

7. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    There are practice mutes that minimize the resistance. You may want to try one of those.

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Don't let people bully you out of practicing. Mutes have lots of disadvantages and are even worse than a small confined space as far your sound feedback goes. The only limitation I impose myself is to use a mute any time outside of 9.00 am to 8.00 pm. I think that's already pretty generous because I do not believe that any kind of regulation could force me to do that.

Enquire about your local laws. Go to the police station and aske them about it without giving too much specifics. Check the statutes and texts yourself. I doubt that you'll find anything that can be used to coerce you into silence.

If that's indeed not the case and if you are practicing at normal hours and not leaving all windows/doors open, let them call the police. When they show up, be very repsectful but ask them what regulation forces you to not play. If they can't cite anything specific enough (and you should know if you checked in advance), tell them that you have a right to practice.

This is BS. Over the years, I had grumpy neighbors who did not like that I was practicing and some who actually started conversations about it and never complained. Once a lady stopped at my door and complained about about my practice. She did not like the Clarke studies. I told her too bad, because these are widely practiced and universally recognized as beneficial to brass players. I made a concession that I would use a mute after a certain time on week days. She was still not happy. That's all she got. Her unhappiness hurt her a lot more than me.

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO PLAY AND PRACTICE. Don't let anyone take it away from you.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  9. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    I use the mute to train my stamina in playing, it creates more resistance hence requires more endurance from you. AND on top of that play quietly AND with a mute, that's a real training.

10. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I have to agree. I do the same thing. Here is an idea. I usually have two practice sessions. The first session of the day comes immediately when I get home from work before dinner. I use this for physical training part of trumpet practice. These are things that additional resistance makes more difficult if not impossible, i.e., pedal tones.

Then the second practice is generally later (8 pm or later). I use the mute for my etudes which are meant to be more musical. Maintaining rhythms and fingerings are more important (to me) here. The mute does add resistance but does not make the music more difficult to actually play; it just decreases endurance a bit. But, I like that part beacuse it is additional training for the embrochure muscles.

DK