A Real Treat To Hear

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by FreshBrewed, Feb 3, 2004.

1. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    A few days ago I was given a CD of Chet Baker's last performance to listen to. I have to say it was one of the simplest but touching CD's I've ever heard. The emotion in the tunes was just unreal. The sound Chet had was probably the most soothing I've ever heard on a trumpet. It was almost flugel-like. Thanks to Kevin for telling me I needed to hear this CD. Anyone else listened to this CD?

2. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, thanks Kevin. Oh wait, that's me...

The CD I lent FreshBrewed (I think your name would be cooler if it was FreshBrood, but what do I know about cool?) is called "My Favorite Songs," the first part of a two CD set of Chet's last concert (in Holland I think). They've got a European state-sponsered big band (I think it's NDR) and an orchestra backing him. Great playing by Chet and the band/orchestra, plus great arrangements. Only a few weeks later Chet fell/was-pushed/jumped out of his hotel to his death. Just say NO to drugs, kids.

--Kevin

3. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    The story I've heard about this performance...and I'm sure I won't get it 100% correct!...is that Chet refused to play any of his parts during the rehearsal. In fact, I think he either arrived at the rehearsal very late or not at all (probably was in Italy buying a new car, which he was known to do on occasion!). Obviously this really PO'd the orchestra members (what else is new!!!). Then came performance time...well...you hear how Chet played! :lol: He's da man!!! 8) I have to say..I own between 75-100 Chet Baker cd's. I also have to confess...along with a few older Maynard cd's... Chet is about the only music I listen to! I just can't seem to get (hear) enough of his playing!!! I only wish!!! :cry:

Butch