A really simple exercise that I can't seem to figure out: lip slurs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Freaks, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie New Friend

Apr 11, 2010
    P.E.I., Canada
    I think we're over looking a very important part of trumpet playing (in my opinion):

There are a whole bunch of factors that could be influencing your playing to do certain things. A very important part of trumpet playing and brass playing in general, is to hear the pitch. To do so, sing the parts if you can and buzz on your mouthpiece on higher stuff. I guarantee you if you whip out the mouthpiece and play with your piano/keyboard/whatever you will notice a difference. It forces you to hear the notes, and not only that you will hear them in tune. I started taking up trombone in an effort to experiment with this, I can say it's only doing good things.

So in short, sing your parts with confidence, play with mpc and piano etc... and then go back to the trumpet thinking about these things so that you don't lose the ideas the minute you put the horn to your face and do the usual thing.

Dutchie

2. Raw_Brass_Kicks

Raw_Brass_Kicks New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    do what jeff smiley recommends and snap the notes.

3. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Also, be sure your practicing of lip slurs is organized and orderly. Be sure you keep track of what you're doing, as well as your progress, even if it means writing stuff down on scratch paper or on your sheet music. It's something I need to work on...

I struggle with lip slurs, too, but my best progress was when I practiced it in a consistent, orderly way. Then I stopped it for some reason and started playing them more casually... I ought to go back to that again. At least I know I've made some progress, since I can now play a certain place that has lip slurs much more easily...too bad I can't remember the author's name right now.... James Barnes Chance, is it? It's a trumpet/piano duet, like the Hindemeth Sonata.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We learn best by emulation, not intellectualization. Find a REAL trumpet player in your area and LISTEN to them slur.

Lip slurs are not tough, they do need decent breathing as a basis however.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I 2nd that in a huge way. I was having trouble with lip slurs, mentioned it to my teacher, a professor at our University and a great player, and he demonstrated. It took less than 5 minutes for me to get it right ..... following his example and I haven't thought about how to do it since, just practice it.

NOTHING is like having a great player sitting there saying, "Oh, it's easy. Here, just do it like this ...."

Turtle