A Recording Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigaggietrumpet, Sep 18, 2006.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I'm wanting to make a recording of myself playing on my laptop, mostly for kicks and giggles, but partly because I've never heard myself on the other end of the bell. I have, obviously, the laptop, but I've also got Adobe Audition for the software part. So this means all I need now is a microphone, right? Just what kind should I be looking for (and preferably not a $400 dollar Shure, I'm not worthy of pro quality, here)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Sony makes a GREAT mic for this purpose. It's ONLY drawback is that is uses a battery...one AA, to be exact. BUT, if you turn it off, it lasts quite a while. The mic is stereo, has an adjustable switch for 90 or 180 degree coverage, and is hardwired with a 1/8" jack (perfectly compatible with your laptop's mic input!). No drivers needed. It runs for about $99 bucks.

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Would you happen to know the model number?

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Yeah...it's an ECM-MS907. Oops..the switch goes 90-120 degerees...sorry 'bout that.

5. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I use the ECM-MS957, it's a little bit pricier, but it works great! Best of luck!