A Second Opinion

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Batman, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi afp,
    You stated:
    "One of the things this thread illustrates well is not every student is a good fit for every teacher".
    -----------------
    You sure got that right. As for me, I'm fairly liberal and not as rigid as when I first strarted teaching. While developing, I did have my share of bad fits. Over time, I learned to find ways to assist the student as best as I could. However, what we are discussing is a young man who must adjust to the dictates of a new trumpet instructor.
    I think someone said it best when they said, "You can't fill a cup that's full". My suggestion, fake it if his cup is full. His job is to get a degree.
    Dr.Mark

2. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    I do agree he needs to give his new teacher a chance. It is hard to diagnose what someone needs on an Internet forum, especially when the only description is from the student. I might ask for your help with a certain thing online, and you would advise me a certain way. However, if you heard me in person you may well diagnose something entirely different
    than what I described.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, this is extremely helpful and of high priority in the first 30 years of learning.

4. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    If I am still playing in my first 30 years I will consider myself fortunate whether I am playing analytically or mindlessly.......

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sounds like he was a good mentor. My advice, don't rely on just this one person. Go out there and experience other's tutelage. From this training you will blend the important points for you, that will give you a unique style, a unique voice. To mentor only from one, will limit this potential.

I started my basics in grade school from Richard Westrich. He taught me to play orchestral dynamics, to learn and play scales, patterns, and basic technique. At the University of Cincinnati, College Conservatory of Music I studied under Eugene Blee, principle trumpet with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. He taught and drilled me in the most advanced orchestral techniques. This was supplemented by training under Mick Dennesen, again at the University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music that drilled me on transposition, a skill I use every day to this very day. Frank Brown at the University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music trained me in Big Band Jazz, then grad school at University of Colorado with Otto Warner (author of a highly utilized college text on jazz) nurtured me as a lead trumpet player in the Colorado State University "Statesman" Big Band. Then off to NYC to study with Claudio Roditi, Brazilian Jazz Trumpet player while at the time of my studies with him, was an understudy to Dizzy Gillespie. Then there is Eddie Brookshire, master of cleave, African Rhythms, and devote' of Jazz Theory. Blend the FORMAL studies all of these individuals together... and you have gmonady, now well beyond his first 30 years.

6. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    Sorry to take so long to respond--life is TOO busy right now. Sounds like an interesting education.

At present, in addition to my trumpet teacher/friend/director, there are a couple other pros--non trumpet players--in my little town that are fantastic sources for style. I seriously don't know if I will ever develop my own voice. My main focus is to copy the styles of great lead players. My job takes 50-60 hours a week, and I am fortunate to devote 2 hrs a day to trumpet. I just don't think I can develop beyond being a competent lead player with that little time devoted to trumpet, given I am already in my mid 50s. I also wonder if I will ever really learn to own notes above High G at that level of practice. Be that as it may, the journey toward my goal of being a competent lead player is reward enough..................