A selection from my community bands first recorded program

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, May 16, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hello all,

I haven't quite got brave enough to post me doing a solo out here but this is the next best thing.

Here my community band and I are playing John Phillip Sousa's Semper Fi being guest conducted. This was the National High School Band Directors Association Hall of Fame induction ceremonies which our band was asked to play for.

I play in the Trumpet section on 3thd part. Although this music is marked for Cornet we use Trumpets which I'm sure is common unless you’re in a brass band.

Anyway; all the leads are in the 3thd Cornet part after the 1st stanza. So since our other relatively strong 3thd player missed this concert it was just me and our other player. There are usually three of us in the 3thd section. If were all here 9 trumpets total 3 per part. This concert we had 3 firsts 2 seconds and 2 thirds.

The other third player is a very good player but advanced in his years being that he is in his mid 70's. So he does not have the wind he once had. So basically I'm doing a 3thd part solo in this piece.

I'm a bit bummed because as you listen after the repeats you'll hear those glaring high notes start to fade. I just lost my wind. Kinda hard with the whole band playing fff for you to come over top of them.

Anyway, listen and let me know what you think. I'd really appreciate the feedback. I know this is not a solo; but a good ear should be able to pick me out. Well before I fade anyway.... :oops:

Thanks,
    John

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=49C5AC630E46C8C8

2. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cool Clip!
    brought back memories of my days in the Navy Band!
    Think I could hear you.... sounded good...sounded strong on your part...
    very cool
    Matt

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks Matt,

That's good to hear...

I sometimes wonder so it's nice to have opinions other then your own. Although don't get me wrong; I'm a tuff critic. I rarely like anything that I play....

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    We are our own worst critics. When we're playing something, I find that the concentration level is so high (or at least SHOULD be) that a lot of stuff goes unnoticed or, at best, is only momentarily an item of awareness. When you subsequently get to hear a playback suddenly there are "things" all over the place that make you want to just crawl back into the rehearsal hall. Strangely enough, the audience usually hasn't got a clue and thinks that the entire performance was just great! I suppose a lot of that stems from the fact that YOU know "what was written on the page" and are possibly looking for "areas of improvement".

The second thing is that it is almost impossible to get a a "fair" judgement from someone else (other than, on occasion, a trained adjudicator). There appears to be an attitude that goes along the lines of "I better not say anything less than positive because I don't want to discourage the musicians". So the poor musician, who may NEED and want some open and fair feedback, only hears "the nice things" and (unless they are very aware of the situation and know to listen to what is NOT being said) has no clue on what to work on.

I ran into a similar situation with an acquaintance who writes new car reviews for the local paper. One day I said to him that I realized he had a very delicate line to tread or he'd find himself with nothing to review and yet, he WAS supposed to be reviewing cars so that readers could become better educated. I said that, otherwise, I might as well read a car advertisement since the information would be nothing other than "glowingly positive".

He said "you have to look for what I don't say"... to which I responded "OK, then I'll cancel my subscription because I don't need to read it to find out what's not there!" :D

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Hey, Kinghorn! I heard you! Way to carry your section, man!

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Glenn Thanks...

That means a lot to me coming from you. I was hoping some educators would chime in on this post.

Before about one year ago, it had been 20 years since I played my horn so I covered a lot of ground quickly.

I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge Alex for helping me along the way! :-)

I love playing; and can't believe I ever allowed myself to stop.

Best to you,
    John

7. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Very nice clip. Thanks for posting it. I've always loved that stuff. It takes me back to the days I played snare drum in Drum & Bugle corps.

8. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Wow,

City band memories flood back except I recall the clarients usually squeaking a lot more than they did in your clip :lol: . Nice playing.

Cheers,

Brian

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks for posting guys...

I really enjoy the comments. I too, played in Drum and Bugle Corps when I was younger although oddly enough we never played Sousa Marches go figure....

Maybe I'll post another clip from something a little more dynamic to show off our band a little.

I rarely like the way that I play; however when I listened to this CD I found myself forgetting that this was a band that I was playing in. I thought we sounded pretty good.

:thumbsup:

10. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Ok,

Here's another one...

This one is called Broadway Showstoppers Overture by Warren Barker.

This is the one I was talking about in another thread when I was talking about one of our first players having this wonderful solo and sounding terrible in practice due to his equipment I thought.

Sure enough he changed it and what a difference! The solo was much better sounding.

You'll hear the harmonies coming out more from my section.

Warning it's 11 Megabytes!

Thanks again for all the comments!

Link expired.... sorry.... see below